Frequently Asked Questions

What will happen when I refer a student or staff member?

 If you complete the Health and Safety Referral Form, a member of the Response Team will contact you shortly after receiving the form to discuss   appropriate steps and options to address the concerning behavior. Please remember, the office is open Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.

If you call us at (970) 351-2796, we will discuss your concerns at that time.

Please note that all information and discussion regarding the student or staff member of concern shall be handled with respect for an individual’s privacy. Although students’ educational records are protected under FERPA, behavioral observations, concerns where a “legitimate educational interest” exists, and health and safety emergencies are situations where sharing information is completely acceptable.

What if I am concerned about the health or safety of a student, but want to remain anonymous?

You can complete a Health and Safety Referral form online where there is an option to remain anonymous to the student of concern. The Response Team addresses all submitted Health and Safety referral forms. The form is available at or at

When do I need to call UNC Police?

If, at any time, a student is posing a threat of violence or unlawful behavior to him/herself or others by being verbally or physically abusive; or refusing to leave upon your request, you should call University Police immediately. Any threat of violence should be taken seriously. Err on the side of caution. Dial 9-1-1 from any phone on campus or 351-2245 from your cell phone to reach the UNC Police.