Current Studies Seeking Volunteers
Researchers are seeking UNC students age 18 to 24 who have been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes to complete a brief survey on self-care strategies.
The goal of this study is to examine how perceived stress and coping skills impact self-management behaviors among undergraduates with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Many undergraduates are away from home and do not have the same routines, social support, or family support. Such psychosocial factors are related to improved adjustment to university life and the adoption of healthy lifestyles. Few studies have explored these factors related to Type 1 Diabetes in undergraduates. Undergraduate students will be recruited in Wyoming and Northern Colorado. Participants will complete an online survey (approximately 15-30 minutes) about their stress, coping skills, and diabetes self-care activities.
- Jeffrey Rings, email@example.com
- Department of Counseling
- July 1, 2014 - April 30, 2015
- Participant Requirements: Participants must be UNC students, 18 to 24 years old, and self-identify as having a diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Time Commitment and Other Information about Research Participation: Upon completion of the survey (15-30 minutes), participants will be directed to a webpage separate from the survey. This webpage will ask participants to provide a preferred email address for the chance to receive a $20 electronic Amazon gift card. Participants will be assured in the consent form and on this webpage that their email address will be used only to provide compensation (i.e., participant email addresses will not be associated with the data they provide and will not be extracted into the secure database for data analysis). Also on this final webpage, participants may indicate if they would like to be considered for future online research studies..
Interested in FREE Exercise training? Researchers are seeking participants (who don't currently exercise) and have NOT had cancer between the ages of 40-75.
We are evaluating the effects of aerobic and cognitive training on Chemotherapy Induced Cognitive Impairment (CRCI), which is often called “chemo brain” or “chemo fog,” and how exercise and/or cognitive training may minimize the effects of treatment on cancer survivors' quality of life. We need a comparative group of individuals who have not had cancer. Participants will receive an initial and post exercise assessment and then will be randomly selected for an exercise or flexibility training regimen. Additionally, we obtain comprehensive cognitive assessments prior to the initial assessment and following the 12-week exercise intervention program.
- Brent Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Sport and Exercise Science
- June 15th, 2014- Ongoing
- Participant Requirements: Age: 40-75 Gender: Males or Females Who won't qualify for this study: • Any Psychiatric diagnosis or neurological disease • Any Past or present alcohol or substance abuse • Significant mobility trouble • Non corrected visual or auditory difficulty • Any software based cognitive training in past 6 months • NeuroActive • Posit Science • Brain fitness program • Mindfit • Lumosity • My Brain Trainer • Aerobic Activity • Walking or Running more than 2x a week for past 8 weeks
- Time Commitment and Other Information about Research Participation: The time commitment is 3 times a week for up to an hour each session. The total study is composed of 36 sessions or 12-weeks in total time.
College students are needed to participate in a discussion group to help researchers understand more about physical activity and binge drinking.
Study volunteers will participate in a 1 hour discussion with 5-10 other male or female undergraduate students. You will also be asked to complete one brief demographic survey. Your responses can be anonymous.
- Mary Dinger CHResearch@unco.edu
- Community Health
- February 11, 2015-April 15, 2015
- Participant Requirements: 1) UNC undergraduate student ,2) be 18-24 years old, 3) not a varsity athlete, 4) engage in physical activity/exercise, 5) have consumed at least 5 alcoholic drinks in one sitting during the previous 30 days.
- Time Commitment and Other Information about Research Participation: Participants in each focus group session will be provided food/refreshments and entered into a drawing to receive a $10 ITunes gift card. You will also be helping researchers understand more about college student health.
Researcher seeks male participants to act as control group for study on empathy in domestic violence offenders.
Study asks participants to complete a variety of surveys, complete a visual puzzle, and identify the emotions of others when presented on a computer screen. Participation takes approximately one hour and no follow up is required.
- Blair Nyline email@example.com
- Counseling Psychology
- March 9, 2015-ongoing
- Participant Requirements: Participants must be heterosexual biological males. No age limits apply. Researcher would prefer participants who are not psychology or counseling majors.
Time Commitment and Other Information about Research Participation: Participation takes approximately one hour and participants will be compensated for their time with $5 upon study completion. Participants can also choose to participate in a lottery to win a $25 gift card in addition to the $5 compensation
UNC Libraries seeks volunteers to improve the library's mobile website
Participants will complete a series of library-related tasks on their mobile devices in order to help library personnel improve the website.
- Sara O'Donnell firstname.lastname@example.org
- University Libraries
- March 6, 2015-May 8, 2015
- Participant Requirements: Participants must be UNC affiliates (student, staff or faculty) over the age of 18. Participants must own and bring their own smart phone.
- Time Commitment and Other Information about Research Participation: This study will take no more than 30 minutes. Participants will be compensated with a $10 Bear Bucks card.
Are you a grandparent? Researchers are seeking volunteers to provide their thoughts about family relationships and the experience of grandparenting
Volunteers will answer multiple online surveys totaling about 15-20 minutes
- Janae Sones email@example.com
- Applied Psychology and Counselor Education
- March 17, 2015-July 31, 2015
- Participant Requirements: Volunteers must be a grandtparent who has at lease one grandchild between the ages of 18 months and 24 years old, but must not be a great-grandparent.
- Time Commitment and Other Information about Research Participation: After the study is complete, a $150 donation will be made to a non-profit organization promoting the importance of grandparenthood.
Attention UNC Students: Your Opinion is Needed!
The influence of Attachment and Career Calling on Career Decision Self-Efficacy and Life Satisfaction
- Dylan Firsick Firs4419@bears.unco.edu
- Department of Counseling
- January 2015-September 2015
- The purpose of this study is to investigate relationships among variables that are believed to be related to college student adjustment and life satisfaction. These variables are attachment style, career development, self-efficacy, and life satisfaction during the college period.
- Participant Requirements: To participate in this study you must be at least 18 years of age, a current university student, and have not previously completed this survey.
- Time Commitment and Other Information about Research Participation: You will be asked a series of questions related to your interpersonal relationships, career decision-making, and life satisfaction as a UNC Student. The first 200 participants will be entered for a chance to win 1 of 3 $5.00 Visa Gift Cards AND ALL participants will be entered for a chance to win a $50.00 Visa Gift Card. The survey is BRIEF and completely online, requiring only 15-20 minutes of your time. Please follow the survey link to get started! https://unco.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cOe2tVvBTPildrL