Withdrawing from the University

We understand that many unexpected events may cause you to withdraw from your courses at the University of Northern Colorado, but withdrawing has many important consequences, both academic and financial. To be sure you are making an informed decision, we urge you to read the Withdrawal FAQ's information before you decide to withdraw.

Withdrawal process

The process to withdraw from the University must begin in the Office of the Registrar. You may notify us by mail, email, or phone. The date you notify the Office of the Registrar of your intent to withdraw will be used as the official withdrawal date from UNC. For more information on your official notification of intent to withdraw, please see the UNC catalog.

Withdrawal deadlines

Withdrawals must be completed by the complete schedule withdrawal deadline of the semester. See the Short Course Calendar for withdrawal deadlines of courses that do not meet the entire semester.

Academic appeals

Withdrawal deadlines are strictly enforced and exceptions will be made only when there were extenuating circumstances beyond your control that kept you from meeting those deadlines. For more information, please see Academic Appeals.

Academic Impact

You will receive a grade of "W" on all courses not completed. The grade of "W" does not impact your GPA.

Financial Impact

Depending on the date you officially withdraw from the University, you may receive an adjustment to your tuition and fees. Withdrawing does not eliminate your financial obligation to the University. You are responsible for any charges owed to the University at the time you withdraw, based on the University's tuition and housing refund policies.

Short Term Courses

Short term courses do not run the entire semester and are subject to different add/drop/withdrawal deadlines.

If you are withdrawing from your entire schedule and you have a short-course on your schedule, you will be charged tuition based on the schedule below.

Summer 2016 Complete Schedule Withdrawal

A complete schedule withdrawal is when you are withdrawing from all courses during a particular session (i.e. 8-week session). The fee schedule below applies to a complete schedule withdrawal.

If you have more than one course in a particular session and withdraw from only one of them, there is no tuition adjustment for the course you withdraw from. You will still pay 100% of the tuition and fees for the course.

Please note: Tuition and Course Withdrawals are specific to sessions and have limitations. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for specific withdrawal limitations if you are registered for multiple courses within a specific session or registered for multiple sessions. If you are registered for multiple courses within the same session, you must withdraw from all sections after the Individual Withdraw deadline.

Tuition charged:
12-week session (May 9 - July 29)  
May 9th through May 19th**  
May 20th through June 17th** Individual Withdraw deadline  
June 18th through July 14th**  
No withdrawals allowed after July 14th  
First 6-week session (May 9 - June 19)  
May 9th through May 13th**  
May 14th through May 27th** Individual Withdraw deadline  
May 28th through June 10th**  
No withdrawals allowed after June 10th  
Second 6-week session (June 29- Aug 7)  
June 20th through June 24th**  
June 25th through July 11th** Individual Withdraw deadline  
July 12th through July 22nd**  
No withdrawals allowed after July 22st  
8-week session (June 8 - July 31)  
May 31st through June 7th**  
June 8th through June 24th** Individual Withdraw deadline  
June 25th through July 13th**  
No withdrawals allowed after July 13th  
*New Student Success Fee is non-refundable, other course fees may also be non-refundable. See Costs for detailed information.

**Must be completed in the Office of the Registrar by the end of the business day.
Please allow 7-10 business days for tuition adjustment processing.


Financial Aid

If you withdraw from school prior to completing 60% of a term, you may be required to repay a portion of the federal financial aid that you received for that term. Federal aid includes Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Academic Competitiveness Grant, National SMART Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Colorado Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program and Special Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program. You will also be placed on financial aid suspension—see “Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress”.

If you receive all F or UW grades, you will be classified as an “Unauthorized Withdrawal” and Financial Aid will use the 50% point of the semester for the Return of Title IV Fund Calculation. We recommend that you try to complete one class, if possible, to avoid any financial hardship imposed by this regulation. If you are planning to leave school, it is important that you follow the formal withdrawal procedures with the Office of the Registrar and you understand your financial obligations.

For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Students with Housing and Dining Contracts

Housing and Residential Education and Dining Services will follow the University rate schedule with the first ten days being charged at the daily rate up to the 25% withdrawal charge.

Student Health Insurance

If you are covered under the University student health insurance, please contact the office at 970-351-1915 to determine the effect of a University withdrawal on your insurance coverage.

Other considerations

If you are taking a science class with a lab, please check out with your lab instructor prior to leaving to avoid any additional charges.

If you have library books checked out, please return to avoid additional charges.

If you have a parking pass, please contact Parking Services at 970-351-1971.

Returning to the University

You will stay an active student for up to 2 semesters of no registration. If you wish to return during this time, please contact your advisor to be advised and receive your PIN number.

If you wish to return after that time period, please see Returning to the University or contact the Office of the Registrar at 970-351-2231.


Student at airport