As a student, you are responsible for knowing regulations that govern registration, add/drop, withdrawal deadlines and other procedures and regulations that may be issued on a semester basis.

You must be registered in order to attend class. The schedule of classes maybe be found through URSA or at

When to Register

Registration for current students occurs according to a pre-registration schedule. The schedule for undergraduate students is based on "earned credit hours"; this does not include hours in which you are currently registered.

Non-degree seeking, Aims Coop, High School Concurrent, and senior citizen students register after current students are allowed to register. Please see pre-registration schedule for specific dates.

If you are a new incoming freshman, you are required to attend a Freshman Orientation. During that time, you will be advised and allowed to register for classes.

If you are a new incoming transfer student, you are encouraged to attend a Transfer Orientation to assist you with registration. Otherwise, you may contact the major department directly to be advised and receive your PIN number. You will then register based on the pre-registration schedule according to the number of credit hours that have been transferred at the point in time in which registration occurs.

PIN Number

Graduate students do not require a PIN.

Undergraduate students require a new alternate PIN each semester with the exception of:

  • Nursing majors
  • Junior and Senior Business Majors

To obtain your alternate PIN, please schedule an advising appointment with your advisor at least two weeks prior to your registration date.

  • If your major is undeclared or you are in a Learning Community, please make an appointment with Academic Support and Advising Office at 970-351-1391.
  • IDLA majors should contact the Interdisciplinary Studies, Liberal Arts Office at 351-2929 for an advising appointment.
  • Your alternate PIN is needed for initial registration only.
  • If you misplace your PIN number, please contact your advisor.
  • Summer registration does not require an alternate PIN number.
How to Register
  • Log into URSA
  • Go to the Student Tab, Registration Tools box
  • Register, Add or Drop Classes
  • Choose appropriate term, enter PIN number if required
  • If you know the CRN number of the course you want to take, enter it in the Add Classes Worksheet. If not, you may search for the course using the Class Search button.
  • When finished, click Acknowledge/Submit.
  • For more detailed instructions, click here
Common Error Messages and Solutions

The best way to contact an instructor for an override is via email. All UNC emails are

If you receive an override from the instructor, you must still register for the course through URSA. Faculty do not have the ability to register you. Register using the CRN number directly in the Add Classes Worksheet.

Class Restriction- Registration is restricted to juniors and/or seniors. Obtain override from instructor of record.

Closed Section- Course is at capacity. Obtain override from instructor of record.

College Restriction- Course registration is restricted to a specific college. Obtain override from instructor of record.

Cohort Restriction - This course is closed except to a certain group of students. Obtain override from instructor of record.

Co-Requisite Required- A co-requisite course must be registered for at the same time. Co-req course must be added at the same time before hitting acknowledge/submit. (Ex. Comm 100 and 103)

Duplicate CRN- Attempting to register for the same course twice. Contact the Office of the Registrar at 970-351-2231.

Instructor Approval- Instructor consent is needed to enter the course. Obtain override from instructor of record.

Level Restriction- Undergraduate student attempting to register for a graduate-level course. Obtain instructor approval and instructor will notify Office of the Registrar to register you.

Link Error- Lecture and lab courses must be added at the same time. Check one lecture and one lab and then hit acknowledge/submit. You may change lab sections by adding the lab section you want at the same time you drop the lab section you don’t want. Use the drop-down box next to the lab you are dropping and select Drop Course on the Web. Before you select Submit Changes, add the CRN of the lab you want to the Add Classes Worksheet. Click on Submit Changes. Check your schedule for accuracy.

Major Restriction- Course registration is restricted to majors only.Obtain override from instructor of record.

Maximum Hours- Attempting to register for more than 18 hours (undergraduates) or 17 hours (graduate students). Contact the Office of the Registrar at 970-351-2231 for more information.

Prereq and Test Score Error- Prerequisite course or test score required. Obtain override from instructor of record.

Time Conflict with CRN #- Time conflict with another course on your schedule. Complete permission form available in the academic departments, have it signed by professor making the time exception and bring form to the Office of the Registrar (Carter 3002) for processing.


Access your online/Blackboard course at

Note: you will not be able to access your course until the first day of class and if you have registered for the class within the past 24 hours you may need to wait for the system to update and grant you access.

  • Username: The first 8 characters (everything before the @ symbol) of your UNC generated BearMail address.
  • Password: The same password you use to access Ursa and your BearMail account
  • The e-mail address that is used by the Blackboard system will be your university-generated BearMail address.

Technical Help for Blackboard


When you audit a course, there is no need to complete assignments or exams, but you are expected to attend class. If you do not attend class you may be removed from the roster. If you successfully complete the class, you will be given a grade of "NC" (no credit). Tuition and fees are charged for audited courses and the course is not eligible for the COF stipend.

If you are registered for a course that you would like to audit, you must contact the Registrar's Office before the add deadline to change your registration status to an audit. You may not change the status for any course, including audit courses, after the add deadline for a given term.

For visiting students, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 970-351-2231.

  • Login to URSA
  • Click on "Student Tab"
  • Under Registration Tools, click on "Registration Status"
  • When prompted, select the semester you are inquiring about from the drop down menu
  • You will see a message in regards to Holds on your account. If you are given a message that you have a Hold on your account, go to the bottom of the page and click on "View Holds" to see a detailed list of your Holds.
  • You will need to contact the department that placed the hold in order to have it released.
Course overrides

Instructors are the only ones who may give you permission to enter closed or restricted classes. Contact the instructor of the class prior to registering and ask them to release you in to the course. Once they have done the release on URSA, you will need to register yourself by going to the Student Tab of URSA, Add/Drop courses and enter the CRN directly into the worksheet.

Course load

The normal undergraduate course load is 15 credit hours for Fall and Spring semesters. Additional tuition charges apply for 16 credits and over.

For financial aid and enrollment verification purposes:

  • Full time for undergraduate students for all semesters is 12 or more credit hours; half-time is 6-11 and less-than-half-time is 5 credit hours or less.
  • Full time for graduate students for all semesters is 9 or more credit hours; half-time is 5-8 and less-than-half-time is 4 credit hours or less.


Course overload

An overload for undergraduates is more than 18 credit hours for Fall and Spring semesters and more than 15 credit hours for the Summer semester.

The Interim term has a 4 credit hour limit; no overload will be permitted.

You will be billed for any enrollment over 16 credit hours. Overload limitations apply to work completed in both on-campus and off-campus programs.

  • If you have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, you may overload up to 21 credit hours without advisor approval. You may call our office at 970-351-2231 to request the overload. Anything over 21 hours will require advisor approval.
  • If you have a GPA lower than 3.0, you may overload only with the signature of your academic advisor and the School Director or Chair. The signed Undergraduate Credit Overload Permit must be submitted to the Registrar's Office, 3002 Carter Hall or fax to 970-351-1870.
  • Business students and student teachers require approval of both your academic advisor and School Director or Department Chair for ANY overload regardless of GPA.

An overload for graduate students is more than 17 credit hours for Fall and Spring semesters and 12 credit hours for the Summer semester.

The Interim term has a 4 credit hour limit; no overload will be permitted.

Overload limitations apply to work completed in both on-campus and off-campus programs.

  • The signed Graduate Credit Overload Permit must be submitted to the Registrar's Office, 3002 Carter Hall or faxed to 970-351-1870.
  • If you are a graduate student with a GPA lower than 3.0, you may not petition for an overload.
Course designations

Subject. Each course is assigned a subject code that identifies the discipline, field or program offering the course. For example, course numbers in Audiology and Speech-Language Sciences are preceded by ASLS; course numbers in Mathematics are preceded by MATH; and courses in Visual Arts are preceded by ART.

Numbers. Four groups are identified by course numbers, generally to indicate the difficulty of a course and its location on a continuum of study that leads to general mastery of the content and methodology of a discipline:

  • Basic skills - 001-099 are not counted in cumulative credits, total credits toward graduation, GPA, nor for financial aid purposes.
  • Lower division - 100-199 range are 1st-year (freshmen) courses and 200-299 are 2nd-year (sophomore) courses.
  • Upper division - 300-399 are 3rd-year (junior) courses and 400-499 are 4th-year (senior) courses.
  • Graduate level - 500-699 are Master’s courses and those numbered 700 or higher are Doctoral/Specialist courses.
    • Juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher are permitted to take 500-level courses.
    • Undergraduates may be permitted to take courses with numbers 600-699 if they have applied to and have been accepted into a Master’s level program at UNC.
    • Undergraduates are not permitted to take courses with numbers 700-799.

Note: Applicability of coursework to a higher degree as an undergraduate student: please refer to specific details on the petition to count toward the next highest degree

Graduate students may not count courses numbered 100-499 toward graduate degree programs; courses numbered 700-799 may be taken for specialist or doctoral credit only.

Courses at the university are sequentially numbered. Courses numbered 100-499 are for undergraduate credit, and courses numbered 500-799 are for graduate credit.

Occasionally, courses that do not appear in the Catalog may appear in the Schedule of Classes( These course number end in "98" and are considered experimental. For example, an experimental course in Geology might be GEOL 398. Courses ending in "98" cannot be used to meet Liberal Arts Core requirements.

Student Classification

Student Classification is based on earned credit hours.

0-29 hours - Freshman

30-59 hours - Sophomore

60 - 89 hours - Junior

90 and above - Senior


DakotaGirl reading book