The first thing you need to do is apply for educational benefits through the Veteran’s Administration. This is done by completing an online application through VONAPP (www.gibill.va.gov). You may also complete a VA 22-1990 paper form and send it directly to the VA.
The application for educational benefits must be completed even if you are transferred benefits from a family member. Once this is completed and processed, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) in the mail from the VA. You must provide a copy of the CoE to the University.
For more detailed information, please visit the Veteran Services website.
Your first semester using VA benefits will take the longest to process. After you’ve completed your orientation and registered for courses, you will need to complete a Veteran’s Certification Request form.
- From the Student Tab in URSA, select the “Veteran’s Certification Request” link located in the Important Links channel.
- You will be prompted to select the correct semester that you are registered for and your personal and course information will automatically populate.
- Verify your benefit information, phone number, and registered courses. You are required to select whether each course is required for graduation for your degree program. Courses that are NOT required for graduation cannot be certified to the VA for payment. Please read the information listed at the bottom of the page and then click “Submit."
- Completing the Veteran’s Certification Request form sends your information electronically to our office where we will confirm your registration and submit your certification to the VA.
- Processing of a certification can take up to 4-6 weeks, so please be patient. Certifications can be submitted to the VA 120 days before a semester begins to ensure that book stipends and housing payments are paid in a timely manner (if you are eligible for them).
- We are required to wait until after the drop deadline of each semester to submit your tuition/fee amount to the VA, so those payments typically come later and are paid directly to the school.
- Please note that it is your responsibility to inform the Registrar’s Office of any schedule changes that you make after your initial Veteran’s Certification Request form is completed. If you change your schedule and add or reduce your credit hours, please complete a new certification request and submit it. This will ensure that neither the University nor you the student end up with any unnecessary debts due to a schedule change.
After your first semester here, you will be required to complete a Veteran’s Certification Request form every semester you are here.
Without completing the request, we will not know that you are still attending and that you still wish to use your VA benefits to help pay for your education.
Again, it is your responsibility to complete a new Veteran’s Certification Request form any time you make a change to your schedule and add or reduce your credit hours after your initial submission.
Students who chose to complete a FAFSA and apply for Financial Aid are welcome to do so to receive the necessary aid to fund their education.
If you are receiving both financial aid and veteran benefits and would like to receive an advance, it is absolutely necessary that you provide UNC with your Certificate of Eligibility. If you have not provided your CoE, you will not be allowed to receive an advance on your financial aid over the standard emergency cash advance of $500.
Once we receive your financial aid, it will be used to pay your bill and if there is any credit remaining after your balance is paid, you will receive a refund.
You may receive an additional refund later in the semester after the VA has paid the school for your tuition and fees.