How to Complete a Standard Services Invoice (SSI)
The SSI form is intended to apply to guest speakers, consultants, and personal service providers where payment is less than $5,000.
Criteria for Use
The following criteria must be met in order to use the SSI document; otherwise an Independent Contractor Form must be used.
- The services performed were less than $5,000 in total for the entire project.
- The services performed were by an individual (not a partnership, corporation, or other organization).
Completing the Form
- Fill in details of the services performed.
Fill in the following:
- Place service was provided
- Service beginning and ending dates
- Payment amount
- University department name
- Department contact name and phone number
- University FOAP(A)
- The person authorized on the FOAP(A) should sign and date the proper line.
- Check the box that applies (Dept will pick up check or mail to provider).
- Have the service provider fill out his/her name, address and phone number.
- Have the service provider sign and date the proper line.
- Complete the Verification of Non-Employee Status information (Page 3).
- Have the contractor complete form W-9 and attach to the contract. CAUTION: Contracts with Non-Resident Aliens, i.e., individuals who are not citizens of the US, will require additional IRS forms to be completed before payments can be made.
- Send the Check/ACH Request, SSI, and W-9 to Accounts Payable for payment. Documents should be submitted for payment after the services are complete unless the Department will deliver the check to the service provider upon completion of the work.
Questions should be directed to Terri Thomas, Accounts Payable Office, 351-1836.