World-renowned program, prestigious degree
UNC has one of the world’s oldest and most highly respected sport administration Ph.D. programs. Our groundbreaking sport administration program has been training exceptional researchers and teachers since the 1980s. You’ll get superior preparation for a faculty career, while building first-hand experience in applied research that has real influence within the sports industry.
UNC offers you broad freedom to pursue independent research, with strong guidance and mentoring from your faculty advisor. Because of our strong international reputation, you’ll meet fellow students from around the world. Our graduates have an outstanding track record in the academic job market, with faculty appointments throughout the United States and abroad.
Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise Science: Sport Administration
UNC’s doctoral degree program requires 64 to 67 credits of coursework, including a set of core research courses that cover statistics, qualitative research, and research methods. The program meets the professional guidelines set forth by the North American Society for Sport Management and the National Association for Sport and Physical Education.
Take the next step! Explore courses, contact information and admission requirements.
Our Ph.D. in sport administration is a research degree, designed for students who seek careers as college or university professors. In addition to building academic expertise in sport administration, you will develop excellent teaching skills, drawing on UNC’s traditional strength as an educator-training institution. You will enter the job market with well-rounded faculty skills that encompass research, academic publishing, curriculum development, and classroom instruction. Alumni of our doctoral program in sport administration have a stellar record of faculty job placements.
Consider a Ph.D. in Sport Administration if you want to:
- Pursue an academic career as a faculty member in sport administration
- Produce applied research that has relevance and influence within the sport industry
- Excel as a college-level teacher
- Excel as a university-level researcher
- Belong to a global alumni network that’s highly engaged in sport administration all over the world
- Quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Statistical analysis
- Marketing and promotions with a focus on consumer behavior and consumption
- Economics of sports organizations, including industry-specific factors such as fan loyalty, ticket pricing, communications, stadium facilities, parking / concessions, and family outreach
- Organizational behavior and management
- Legal and ethical aspects of the sports industry
- International sports institutions and structures
- Marketing and Promotions
- Consumer Behavior
- Financial Management for Sport Organizations
- Event and Facility Management
- Legal Aspects of Sport
- Sport Public Relations and Information Systems
UNC’s on-campus Sports Marketing Research Institute provides a unique outlet that enables you to gain hands-on experience in applied research. Working on behalf of sports industry clients who seek management assistance, you will have opportunities to solve real-world problems related to sport administration and management. Clients may seek help with pricing, public relations, sponsorship, licensing, marketing, customer satisfaction, or other elements of sport administration.