Experience Innovative Approaches to Science Education
Designed for practicing science teachers, the online master’s degree in science education emphasizes practical skills for the classroom and beyond. Sharpen your teaching techniques and deepen your content knowledge, while gaining a top-quality master’s degree that qualifies you for advanced job responsibilities and higher pay.
Recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of the nation’s top online education graduate programs, the science education degree offers flexible times that enable you to balance coursework with a full-time teaching job. You’ll gain expertise in inquiry-focused teaching strategies, position yourself to teach in multiple STEM disciplines and gain experience in assessment, advanced pedagogy and teaching for diverse learners.
Time to Completion:
Graduate Interdisciplinary Degree Program M.A. in Science Education
This flexible online master’s degree is designed for working teachers, so you can complete it within two years while working full-time. You’ll do your coursework online, at times that fit conveniently into your schedule. The program includes an action research component, enabling you to test new techniques in your own classroom and evaluate the outcomes. Choose electives in a variety of STEM content areas, and tailor the degree to your own interests and professional objectives.
Take the next step! Explore courses, contact information and admission requirements.
National leaders have placed a high priority on improving STEM education at all levels. With the science education master’s degree, you’ll acquire advanced skills that are in high demand, broadening your career options and raising your income potential. In addition, you’ll be prepared to exercise leadership and influence the future of STEM education in your school, your district and your community.
Consider UNC’s M.A. in Science Education if you want to:
- Enhance your subject matter expertise in one or more STEM disciplines
- Qualify for higher pay, leadership positions, and greater professional responsibility
- Improve learning outcomes in your own classroom
- Experiment with innovative teaching techniques, and assess their effectiveness
- Inquiry-based education
- Advanced techniques for science instruction
- Assessment of learning outcomes and teaching effectiveness
- Subject-matter expertise in current science topics
- Cognition and Instruction
- Science Education Research for K-12 Teachers
- Action Research in Science Education
- Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
The online master’s in science education provides you with the opportunity to conduct action research in your own classroom. You’ll design, implement and evaluate new teaching approaches based on your coursework. This practical, skill-building approach enables you to apply program concepts immediately in your professional life.
- Teaching in multiple STEM disciplines
- Program assessment
- Teacher training
- New course design and curriculum development
- Department leadership or administrations