Is designed to meet the needs of students who have any type of substance use behavior, which might cause concern for them physically, psychologically, emotionally, academically and/or legally. Further, this group will examine how behaviors negatively impact those around you. These classes are for UNC students only.
This six-hour class is taught 4-5 times each semester and carries a non-refundable, non-transferable $75.00 charge for students. Each class is limited to 15 students.
- Please arrive on time, will not be admitted if you are more than 10 minutes late.
- Lunch break will be approximately a 1/2 hour long.
- If students smell of alcohol they will be asked to leave the class and will have to register for an additional class.
- No drinking the night/morning of the class.
- Show up with an open mind. Evaluations from the class have indicated that students actually enjoy the class and the information presented. This is a non-judgmental time for you to learn and ask whatever questions you may have regarding alcohol and other drugs.
- Show up with a pen or pencil. You will be writing and participating in group activities.
- If you have not registered for the class, you will not be allowed to participate in the class and the facilitators have a list of registered students.
Through the FOCUS Class, students will …
- Learn about accurate levels of use by UNC students and recognize that misusing and abusing substances is not the normative behavior.
- Examine and discuss personal attitudes and beliefs about alcohol and other drug use.
- Gain an understanding of physical, psychological, and social effects of substance use.
- Critically evaluate and discuss the consequences and responsibilities associated with personal choices regarding substance use.
- Develop the necessary skills to identify and alter high-risk behaviors associated with alcohol and other drug use.
- Gain an understanding of the process of addiction.
- Additional important information regarding the FOCUS Class:
Payment of $75.00 for the class will be charged to each student's bill. If you are a no-show $75 will appear on your student bill, no refund will be issued.