Obtaining a police report
Copies of police reports can be obtained by requesting a copy from the Communications Center in Gray Hall, located on Central Campus. Although the dispatch center is staffed 24-7, records requests are only accepted during business hours, Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm. There is sometimes a cost associated with obtaining a copy of the report.
Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statute §24-72-203, Public records open to inspection, our agency may require up to three working days to complete the request. If the request is a broad or in-depth request, the applicant will be notified of the time required, which can be up to seven additional working days.
Fee Schedule for Criminal Justice Records
- Fees are non-refundable
- Victims of crimes will not be charged for copies of their reports, with the exception of 35mm prints.*
- Fees are due at the time the request is made; additional fees may apply on extensive requests.
- All records requests must be accompanied by a signed Criminal Justice Record Request, available online here or at the Communications Center.
- If you are requesting a copy of a report by mail, please contact the UNCPD at (970) 351-2245 to find out the cost of the report. Enclose check payment (made out to the UNC Police Department) and a signed Criminal Justice Record Request as mentioned above.
* 35mm prints are processed by an outside service.
|Search and retrieval||$2.50||If cumulative time is under 10 minutes|
|Redaction/extensive retrieval||$5.50 per 15 minutes||Staff time for over 10 minute requests|
|Copies||$.25 per page||Standard black and white page|
|Broad requests (including statistical compilations and analysis)||$13.00 per 15 minutes||Staff research and compilation fee|
|Recordings||$45.00 for each hour||Released on cd-rom|
|Fax fee||$1.00 per page||Fee includes long-distance charges|
|Digital photos||$15.00 per disc||Released on cd-rom|
|CD/DVD/Cassette||$15.00 per disc/tape|
|35mm prints||See notes||Actual cost, paid at contracted photo center|