It is the philosophy of UNC Police Department that we would much rather prevent crimes from occurring than react to them after the fact. A primary vehicle for accomplishing this goal is the University's comprehensive crime prevention program, which is based upon the dual concepts of eliminating or minimizing criminal opportunities whenever possible and encouraging students and employees to be responsible for their own security and the security of others.
The UNC Police Department, in conjunction with other campus departments, offers many different programs for crime prevention. The following is a list of some of the most frequently used crime prevention programs and projects employed by UNC:
- Escort Programs - Escorts are provided by police officers or student security officers during hours of darkness for persons walking on campus.
- Ride Along Programs - Students and community members may ride along with an officer. This experience allows for first hand exposure and insight into campus policing and law enforcement. Find out how to ride-along with an officer.
- Emergency Telephones - Interior and exterior emergency phones linked directly to UNCPD are located throughout campus.
- Crime Prevention Presentations - Numerous crime prevention presentations are made to campus groups and well over 100 programs are presented annually.
- Printed Crime Prevention Materials - Printed crime prevention brochures and posters related to substance abuse, personal safety, campus safety, etc. are distributed at crime prevention presentations.
- Security Surveys - Comprehensive security surveys or audits are made for a number of campus facilities each year.
- Facility Surveys - Surveys of exterior lighting, exterior doors and grounds are conducted by the officers on a continual basis.
- Bicycle Registration - Formal identification of bikes is made to deter theft and aid in their recovery if lost or stolen. This registration can be done through Parking Services
- Sexual Assault and Personal Safety Awareness, Education and Prevention - In cooperation with the SAFE committee, numerous presentations are made each year.
- Victim Advocacy - Victims of sexual assault are counseled and supported by members of a special team. UNCPD works closely with this office.
- Alcohol Enforcement/Education - Programs are co-hosted with the UNC drug and alcohol prevention office. They provide violators with a crime-alcohol relationship perspective and promote responsible alcohol use.
- New Student Orientation Program - Freshmen are required to attend this two-hour workshop hosted by UNCPD. The workshop explores a variety of health and safety issues.