Philosophy Search Engines
- Noesis—A limited area search engine for open access, academic philosophy on the Internet. An excellent tool for research. Searches will cover the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, and many other open access sources. Using this search engine is likely to minimize returns for unreliable sources of information.
- Ethics, Etc.
- Philosophy Talk
- Philosophy Bites
- The Philosophy Pages
- The Philosophers’ Magazine
- Guide to Philosophy on the Internet
- The Voice of the Shuttle: Philosophy Page
- SWIP—The Society for Women in Philosophy
- FOLDOP: The Free Online Dictionary of Philosophy
- The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- The American Philosophical Association
Undergraduate Philosophy Journals, Conferences, and Essay Contests
- Aporia—an undergraduate journal published at Brigham Young University.
- The Butler University Undergraduate Research Conference—a regional (midwestern) conference held every year in the spring.
- The Dualist—a national undergraduate journal published by Stanford University undergraduates.
- Ephemeris—published yearly from Union College and intended as a platform for significant undergraduate work in philosophy.
- The Great American Think-Off—America’s premier amateur philosophy contest, sponsored by the New York Mills Regional Cultural Center in New York Mills, Minnesota.
- The Pittsburgh Undergraduate Review—considers papers from all disciplines.
- Prolegomena—an online philosophy journal for undergraduate students published at the University of British Columbia.
- The Elie Wiesel Prize in Ethics Essay Contest—an annual competition designed to challenge college students to analyze the urgent ethical issues confronting them in today’s complex world.
- The Yale Philosophy Review—a bi-annual journal that showcases the best and most original of philosophic thought by undergraduate students, worldwide.
Guides to Good Writing
- Revising Prose (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute).
- Gender-Fair Language (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute).
- Grammar, Punctuation, and Capitalization Rules—from the Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation.
- Guide to Grammar and Style—by Jack Lynch (Rutgers University).
- Guide to Grammar and Writing—Sponsored by the Capital Community College Foundation (Capital Community College, Hartford).
- The OWL at Purdue—Free Writing Help and Teaching Resources, Open 24/7 (Purdue University).
- The original (1918) edition of The Elements of Style—by William Strunk, Jr. (Cornell University).
A Classic Revised
- The Elements of Style—by William Strunk, Jr., revised by John Woldemar Cowan (2008).
A Brief Summary of MLA Style for Research Papers
- MLA Formatting and Style Guide—from the On-line Writing Lab (Purdue University).
Two Good Lists of Additional Resources
- Garbl’s Writing Resources Online—by Gary B. Larson (Seattle, Washington).
- Writing-Related Resources—from the On-line Writing Lab (Purdue University).
Guides to Writing Good Philosophical Essays
- Good and Bad in Philosophy Essays—by R. W. Hepburn (retired from the University of Edinburgh).
- A Guide to Writing Philosophy Essays—by Colin Allen (Indiana University).
Slightly Longer Guides
- A Brief Guide to Writing Philosophy Papers—by Richard Field (NW Missouri State).
- Essay Assignment—by Peter Suber (Earlham College).
- Guidelines on Writing a Philosophy Paper—by James Pryor (New York University).
- Guidelines on Reading Philosophy—by James Pryor (New York University). Not on writing, but well worth reading.
- Philosophical Terms and Methods—by James Pryor (New York University).
- Philosophical Writing Manual—Long Version—by Martin Young (UC, Irvine).
- Tips on Writing a Philosophy Paper—by Douglas Portmore (Arizona State University, Tempe)—.pdf file, approx. 350K.
Tips on the Writing Process
- Paper Writing Strategies for Introductory Philosophy Courses—by Joe Cruz (Williams College).
Graduate Study in Philosophy
- Applying to Graduate School in Philosophy—Matthew Lu (University of Tennesee).
- The Philosophical Gourmet Report.