Types of Questions Asked by Socrates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alejandro Tapia
Fledgling

5 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  7:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I was the only one, but I noticed that there are certain types of questions that Socrates would ask people.
  • To start off, I noticed that more often than not, he would ask questions about questions. These really confused me. Socrates may have done this to get the person he was speaking with to really think about what he has just said. The more one can explain on a topic (in different ways), the better understanding one has of it. An example is: "Why do you think I asked you this question?"
  • Second, there were questions he asked people that allowed for them to explain more, and shed some light on the subject. Basically, these would be asked to elucidate the point they were trying to get across. An example of this question is simply: "Why?" or "Why do you say this/that?"
  • Another type of question Socrates asks is which perception/side are you arguing for? Sometimes it is not all clear when it comes to deciding what to argue about, so I can see why Socrates uses these to make the people he's talking with really be self conscious when talking. An example of this is: "What would be an alternative to that point you just made?"
  • The last type of question I have seen Socrates ask people, is a question that makes the arguing side defend their statements. He asks them to back their points up with evidence. Without evidence, it is hard to claim anything. An example of this would be, well: "How can you defend that?" and/or "What are some examples of that statement/claim?"
Can any of the rest of you see what I'm talking about? Socrates uses different types of questions when Socratizing/talking to people. Can you guys identify any other types of questions that you've seen Socrates using?

[Edited to enhance readability -TT]
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Philosophy | University of Northern Colorado © 2004 tkt Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000