More or Less
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Brittny Gadsby
Fledgling

13 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  9:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concerning the discussion we had on Friday, I want to hear all of your opinions:

What do you think people focus on more, the fact that their time is running out or the fact that there is time ahead of them that they have yet to spend in their lives? In other words, do most people dwell on their past or are most enthusiastic about their future?

Jeremy Grooms
Fledgling

7 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  10:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Brittny, I believe that it could go either way depending on the past of the person you ask. I do not believe that most people sit around and think about the time that they have already spent. I don't mean that people do not dwell in the past, but I don't think most people really think all that much about how much time they are losing.

I think people look forward to the time they have left to spend, because that is where they'll be able to change what they do not like about the way they've spent their time. People try to avoid -- to get away from -- the way they've misspent their time by means of the hopes that they have about the time they still have left. If people were always appreciative of every second they have spent living in this world, then they would not be able to appreciate the world/people around them. In my eyes this would be a waste of the overall time a person has to live.

I do think that there are some people who focus more on the time that they have already spent; but these are the people who have nothing else to live for or truly believe that their past is far better than their future can or will ever be. This is not to say this is a bad way for them to live the rest of their lives. It really is your choice to live the way you would like to and no one way of doing it is any better than any other. What are your thoughts on the question, Brittny?

[Lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page

Henry Thomas
Apprentice

22 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  9:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was actually thinking about this too, and after having thought about it, my general feeling is this. Although I believe that many people do dwell on the past and don't focus on the future, I think that those who dwell on the past are generally not the most positive people and, on top of that, I suspect that it's bad things that they're dwelling on and can't let go of. On the other hand, there are the people who focus on the future or the time that they have left. These are the more positive people who get stronger from most of their mistakes and see the future as an opportunity to do better and have greater success in there work life, their social life, and their family life. I am one of the positive ones who look forward to the future. I truly believe that most people are optimistic and do look forward to the future.

Go to Top of Page

Brittny Gadsby
Fledgling

13 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  2:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good comments guys! I like that! My thoughts are that people are different with their thinking processes. However, there are always exceptions to those thinking processes.

Henry, you said that the people who dwell on the past tend to be more negative. I kind of have to disagree. I believe we all dwell on our pasts at some point in our lives, and normally, when we do, the things we dwell on are big negative events that have happened in our lives. Some people may say 'Man, I shouldn't have bet all that money', or 'I should have really spent time with that person more before she passed away.' It's not like ' Shoot! I really should have gotten the bread sticks and not the soup.' Therefore I believe that everyone is entitled to dwell on whatever he or she dwells on because these are serious matters. Also, the things people dwell on in the past don't always have to negative. One can be the most outgoing, positive person in the world and still dwell frequently on the past.

Jeremy-- I also think that when you say people do not really sit down and think about their lives or about how much time they are losing, I somewhat agree. Most people do not sit there and smell the roses until it's too late and other people (who I have a feeling are philosophy majors and fans) really do try to live their lives to the fullest and experience every moment as if it's their last.

One more thing about the positive, optimistic people who look towards the future: why such a person sees coming can be a negative thing too. Generally negative people can have that shining light of the future be the only positive thing in their lives. The future holds so much potential and hope that it does give such a person a positive outlook, but such a person might not be one of the most optimistic people.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grooms
Fledgling

7 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really do not believe that whether a person is optimistic or pessimistic has anything to do with what they believe. I think there could be several reasons why someone would dwell on the past, but more than likely I think that everyone has something in his or her past that he or she wishes never happened. People run from what haunts their pasts with optimism. They hope for a change in the future.

Go to Top of Page

Brittny Gadsby
Fledgling

13 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  5:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people do not run from their pasts. As I said there is an exception to every generalization.

So do you think the people who ignore their feelings about their lives (losing time/gaining time) try to ignore them? If they do, do they have a reason for doing this? Might they be 'optimistic' or 'pessimistic' people?

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grooms
Fledgling

7 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  11:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I understand you correctly, I believe that people do try to ignore the thought of the time they have wasted, because that is the part of their life that they never want to remember. And I think that such a person could be either optimistic or pessimistic.

[Very lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Philosophy | University of Northern Colorado © 2004 tkt Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000