PHIL 200-002 - Friedrich Nietzsche
 Reclusive Philosophy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ryan Crawford

5 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  3:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would Nietzsche's writings and philosophy have been any different if he hadn't been such a recluse socially? It is worth noting that his environment and his own personal limitations could have influenced what he believed, as it does for many of us. Does this diminish the importance of Nietzsche's philosophy? Of anyone's? But then what becomes of philosophy if it is subject to personal experience in this way?

[Very lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]

Henry Thomas
Apprentice

22 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  1:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's hard to say that his opinions wouldn't have been different if he'd grown up in a different area or in a very different social atmosphere. Your surroundings, the way you are raised, and the people you are around -- even your language -- have a vast effect on how you view things. However I do not think any of this diminishes the value of his writings at all as they still provide different views on things, which really let us think about the world in different ways.

[Very lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page

Brittny Gadsby
Fledgling

13 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  2:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Henry. I believe that your surroundings help structure your thoughts, your questions, your personality, and your character traits as well. I don't think that this diminishes his writings. I think it improves them. He is so reclusive that his best quality and pastime is to think constructively about all the things he has written about and even more that he hasn't written about.

[Lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Philosophy | University of Northern Colorado © 2004 tkt Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000