Perception
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karlie Huckels
Fledgling

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  11:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other day in class we discussed perception and views of reality, and those topics really stuck with me. However, I cannot clearly recall what everyone's thoughts were or how the discussion was related to Nietzsche. Can anyone enlighten me? Because I would love to do some more thinking about this.

[Lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]

Tom Trelogan
Forum Admin

1420 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  11:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've touched on this a few times -- first, I think, when I raced ahead and called the class's attention to the section in Twilight of the Idols titled "How the True World Became a Fable." I'm not sure which other day you're talking about or just what we were talking about that day, but perhaps it was the discussion we had this last Monday and Wednesday (it went on for a good bit of both days) of Nietzsche's thoughts about the error of Eleaticism and the innocence of becoming. Does that ring a bell? I'm still thinking about that discussion myself.
Go to Top of Page

Karlie Huckels
Fledgling

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  12:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The entire topic is just something that has always interested me and I don't remember which day it was. (I should probably start writing these things down.) But it does ring a bell. I'll have to read through that all again to see what I can pick up on.

[Very lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page

Tom Trelogan
Forum Admin

1420 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The passages we were looking at in connection with that particular discussion are on pp. 480 (for Heraclitus and the Eleatics on the senses), 482 (for the idea that all becoming is a proof of "mere appearance" -- as opposed to reality, of course), and 499-501 (for what it would take to restore the "innocence of becoming") -- all page references being to pages in The Portable Nietzsche.
Go to Top of Page

Henry Thomas
Apprentice

22 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  7:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that everyone's perception of reality is different. Essentially what this means is everyone has different experiences throughout life. Everyone's perception of reality is different because no one has the same exact experiences. No two people share the same exact life, and this means that everyone's reality is different. This is why I believe there is no true definition for the word "reality," because really, what is reality? Just some food for thought.

[Edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Philosophy | University of Northern Colorado © 2004 tkt Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000