Destiny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Henry Thomas
Apprentice

22 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  9:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On page 352 what does Zarathustra mean when he says: "I, however, and my destiny--we do not speak to the Today, nor do we speak to the Never; we have patience and time and overmuch time in which to speak." I read over this a number of times and I'm still not sure I fully understand it. Even if you are feeling the same way, I would appreciate whatever you might offer in the way of insight.

[Very lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]

David Berger
Journeyman

83 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  2:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zarathustra is here talking about fishing--as a metaphor of course, for he fishes for men who will be raised up by his teaching! Just before he makes the remark that you quote, he describes the impatient fisherman, who curses his quarry. Zarathustra, however, is the most excellent sort of fisherman, for he waits so patiently that time is meaningless to him. (Such a patient fisherman--one who really can wait so long--will be bound to catch a fish eventually. Especially with bait as sweet as the words of Zarathustra. His words could go into the deepest abyss--Zarathustra will remain on his high mountaintop.) For his Hazar--the thousand year legacy of a prophet--one must have patience to wait a thousand years.

I hope my interpretation helps.

[Lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Philosophy | University of Northern Colorado © 2004 tkt Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000