God
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Henry Thomas
Apprentice

22 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  10:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today in class we were talking about Nietzsche's ideas about God's being dead and about who might be said to be responsible for having killed him. We discussed the question of what groups might be thought to have been responsible and talked about the possibility that Christians themselves might be one such group, though we talked about a number of other groups as well. Although I listened carefully to the discussion in class, I never had a firm grasp of what, if anything, came of it. I would appreciate any insight and opinions.

[Lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]

John Edelmon
Fledgling

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What persuades you that any of Nietzsche's ideas are true? How come no one asks what is true, and why, and why does everyone then wonder why things are so unclear? Is belief in God truly untenable? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch2xLGn-Dp4&list=PLA10CD20D457D9828&index=32

[Very lightly edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page

David Berger
Journeyman

77 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  10:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I can't say for sure whether God himself is dead, having never actually met him, Nietzsche's statement (at least as we interpreted it in class) implies that with the advances that have been made in science, we just have much better explanations for the universe now than we had in the past. And Christian morality too is beginning to lose its grip and different moral systems, and even types of behavior that do not consider moral systems, are growing in tenability. This is even truer now than it was when Nietzsche wrote, so much so that the idea of God in any absolute sense is very questionable. Christanity's claim to truth is dead, for most people believe something else, accepting the Christian mythos if at all, only in part

I think belief in God is not terribly intermingled with science, but so far as his cultural observations are concerned, what Nietzsche says is very accurate. There are still those who think we all ought to believe in God. Nietzsche would probably characterize these as wailing mourners! That's some pretty strong imagery, and it gets a lot of Christians fired up. ;)

[Edited to enhance readability -TT]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Philosophy | University of Northern Colorado © 2004 tkt Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000