Frequently Asked Questions for Transfer and Non-Traditional Students
I've been admitted to UNC. What do I do now?
What does it mean to be a non-traditional student?
Am I required to attend a Transfer & Non-Traditional Welcome?
How much does it cost?
Do my parents have to attend Orientation with me?
When will I sign up for classes?
Do I need to purchase a parking permit before arriving at Orientation?
During Orientation, will I be able to see the room I am assigned to in the fall?
What if I need to change or cancel my reservation?
Can I bring young children with me to Orientation?
Do you have a place I can feed my infant?
- I've been admitted to UNC. What do I do now?
- I've been admitted to UNC. What do I do now? You will complete online orientation when it becomes available. It will be accessed through the orientation reservation system. There are optional in-person Transfer and Non-Traditional Student Welcome sessions that you can make a reservation for upon completing online orientation. Advising and registration must be done by contacting your advisor or attending the Welcome; details for your major will be given to you once you complete online orientation. Reservations cannot be accepted over the phone. Undergraduate Admissions also provides a helpful checklist for admitted transfer students.
- What does it mean to be a non-traditional student?
- Typically, "non-traditional" refers to students 25 years of age or older. If you consider yourself a non-traditional student (such as: you have dependents, are a military veteran, etc.), please contact our office to discuss the option to complete online orientation and attend the Transfer and Non-Traditional Welcome.
- Am I required to attend a Transfer & Non-Traditional Welcome?
- All students are required to complete orientation. Transfer and non-traditional students will complete the requirement with an online orientation. The in-person Transfer and Non-Traditional Student Welcome sessions are optional as long as you can meet with your advisor over the phone or email. Details about advising by major are given after online orientation is complete.
- How much does it cost?
- There is no upfront cost for orientation. Orientation fees are folded into the Student Success Fee that is paid in the fall. That fee covers other important student service areas for the entire time the student is at UNC.
- Do my parents have to attend Orientation with me?
- While we do have a Parent Orientation option for parents or any other family and support members, they are not required to attend orientation with you. Look through the Parent Orientation section of our website for complete information.
- When will I sign up for classes?
- During the Transfer & Non-Traditional Welcome in a group setting, a faculty or professional advisor will help you select and register for classes in the afternoon of Orientation. Note that the advisor you meet with may not be your assigned advisor. Details about advising (and other advising options) by major are given after online orientation is complete.
- Do I need to purchase a parking permit before arriving at Orientation?
- No. Parking is free during your Orientation session at the University Center (between 10th and 11th Avenue on 20th Street) in either the north or south lots. There is no need to park anywhere else during Orientation, but if you wish to park somewhere else, you will need to buy a day pass from one of the daily parking dispensers.
- During Orientation, will I be able to see the room I am assigned to in the fall?
- Students will get a chance to see some of the halls during a campus tour if they choose to participate. Floor plans and pictures are available on the Housing & Residential Education website to assist students in planning.
- What if I need to change or cancel my reservation?
Reservations for a session (including changes to any support people reservations) can be changed or cancelled by logging back into the Orientation reservation site. Reservations will be locked 4 business days prior to the session at which time changes or cancelation will no longer be able to be made.
- Can I bring young children with me to Orientation?
- We do not recommend bringing young children to Orientation sessions as we do not provide any programming options or daycare. If your only option is to bring any children, they are certainly welcome and we will not charge any extra cost. You may pay for their lunch on your own at the entrance of the food court (follow the link for pricing).
- Do you have a place I can feed my infant?
- The University of Northern Colorado offers two Lactation Stations where mothers can feed their infants or express breastmilk in a private and quiet space. The University Center, where the majority of orientation sessions are located, has a space on the 3rd floor, near the Panorama Room. For more information, please contact the Women’s Resource Center at 351-1492 or check out our website at: http://www.unco.edu/wrc/Breastfeeding.html
back to top