Frequently Asked Questions for Freshman Students
I've been admitted to UNC. What do I do now?
Am I required to attend New Student Orientation?
How much does it cost?
What happens if I cannot attend both days of my Orientation session?
Do I have to stay overnight?
Do my parents have to attend Orientation with me?
How do I know what college my major is in?
I have decided to double-major, what session should I choose?
When will I sign up for classes?
I am out of town this summer, what should I do?
Can I sign up for a session that is closed or not designated for my major?
If I cannot attend until July or August, will I still have a good selection of classes?
If I need to arrive on campus in advance or stay after orientation is over, where can I stay?
What if I am not a Colorado resident?
Do I need to purchase a parking permit before arriving at Orientation?
During Orientation, will I be able to see the room I am assigned to in the fall?
What if I need to change or cancel my reservation?
- I've been admitted to UNC. What do I do now?
- You must make a reservation on our web site to be able to choose an orientation date. Reservations cannot be accepted over the phone.
- Am I required to attend New Student Orientation?
- Freshmen are required to attend a 2-day orientation session and attendance at all sessions during orientation is the only way to register for classes for your first semester.
- How much does it cost?
- Orientation fees are folded into the Student Success Fee that is paid in the fall. That fee covers other important student service areas such as tutoring for the entire time the student is at UNC, the first year Common Book Program and associated activities, and supplemental programs, such as undergraduate research.
- What happens if I cannot attend both days of my Orientation session?
- All new freshmen are expected to participate in both days of New Student Orientation. If you need to attend a session that does not include your major, please register for the orientation dates you can attend and call our office to arrange special accommodations.
- Do I have to stay overnight?
- It is not required but highly recommended that students stay overnight to enjoy the full experience of Orientation. In addition, the student schedule goes late into the evening on the first day and begins early on the second day.
- Do my parents have to attend Orientation with me?
- While we do have a Parent Orientation option for parents or any other family members, they are not required to attend orientation with you. Typically, just less than half the students attending bring someone with them. Look through the Parent Orientation section of our website for complete information.
- How do I know what college my major is in?
- This alphabetical list may help; if you need further assistance, feel free to call our office.
- I have decided to double-major, what session should I choose?
- You can choose a session based on your top major or what fits best with your schedule. If you'd like to call our office for more advice, we would be happy to help!
- When will I sign up for classes?
- In a group setting, a faculty or professional advisor will help you select and register for classes on the second day of Orientation. Note that the advisor you meet with may not be your assigned advisor in the fall.
- I am out of town this summer, what should I do?
- A session is offered right before classes begin for students who are unable to attend in the summer but is reserved for out-of-state students and other special circumstances. If you are not an out-of-state student and need to attend this session, please call our office after making the online reservation.
- Can I sign up for a session that is closed or not designated for my major?
- Once a session is closed, you may not make a reservation and we do not have a waiting list. If you have special circumstances and you need to attend a session other than one for your major, choose an available date and call our office to change your reservation.
- If I cannot attend until July or August, will I still have a good selection of classes?
- Academic offices attempt to keep seats open throughout the summer so your class choices should be about the same as for those students attending early sessions. However, there is no guarantee that your top class choices will still be open. Our faculty and professional advisors and student leader staff will help you build your schedule as best we can. Remember that your schedule can be altered up until the first week of the semester.
- If I need to arrive on campus in advance or stay after orientation is over, where can I stay?
- During the summer, students who arrive early or need to stay after orientation has ended are eligible to stay in the University's Summer Visitor Housing (at the cost of the student) and can be arranged by calling 970-351-4070 or online. If you prefer to stay off campus or are coming to a session during the school year, we provide many hotel options for you.
- What if I am not a Colorado resident?
- There is a special orientation date just for you! Many out of state students find it difficult to come to campus multiple times before fall semester. For this reason, we offer an orientation session right before classes begin.
- Do I need to purchase a parking permit before arriving at Orientation?
- No. Parking is free during your Orientation session at the University Center (between 10th and 11th Avenue on 20th Street) in either the north or south lots. There is no need to park anywhere else during Orientation, but if you wish to park somewhere else, you will need to buy a day pass from one of the daily parking dispensers or from Parking Services in Gray Hall.
- During Orientation, will I be able to see the room I am assigned to in the fall?
- Due to other events and conferences on campus, there is limited availability to show students their specific room. Students will get a chance to see some of the halls during their campus tour if they choose to participate. Floor plans and pictures are available on the Housing & Residential Education website to assist students in planning.
- What if I need to change or cancel my reservation?
- Reservations for a session (including changes to any support and accomodations) can be changed or cancelled by logging back into the Orientation reservation site. Reservations will be locked three days prior the session at which time, changes or cancelation will not longer be able to be made.
- Back to top