Frequently Asked Questions for Freshman Students
I've been admitted to UNC. What do I do now?
Am I required to attend New Student Orientation?
How much does it cost?
What happens if I cannot attend both days of my Orientation session?
Do I have to stay overnight?
Do my parents have to attend Orientation with me?
How do I know what college my major is in?
I have decided to double-major, what session should I choose?
When will I sign up for classes?
I am out of town this summer, what should I do?
Can I sign up for a session that is closed or not designated for my major?
If I cannot attend until July or August, will I still have a good selection of classes?
If I need to arrive on campus in advance or stay after orientation is over, where can I stay?
When should I schedule Orientation if I don't live in Colorado?
Do I need to purchase a parking permit before arriving at Orientation?
During Orientation, will I be able to see the room I am assigned to in the fall?
What if I need to change or cancel my reservation?
- I've been admitted to UNC. What do I do now?
- You must make a reservation on our web site to be able to choose an orientation date. Reservations cannot be accepted over the phone.
- Am I required to attend New Student Orientation?
- Freshmen are required to attend a 2-day orientation session and attendance at all sessions during orientation is the only way to register for classes for your first semester.
- How much does it cost?
- There is no upfront cost for orientation. Orientation fees are folded into the Student Success Fee that is paid in the fall. That fee covers other important student service areas such as tutoring for the entire time the student is at UNC.
- What happens if I cannot attend both days of my Orientation session?
- All new freshmen are expected to participate in both days of New Student Orientation.If you have special circumstances and you need to attend a session other than one for your major, fill out the online reservation until you get to the date selection section and call our office to change finalize your reservation.
- Do I have to stay overnight?
- It is not required but highly recommended that students stay overnight to enjoy the full experience of Orientation. In addition, the student schedule goes late into the evening on the first day and begins early on the second day.
- Do my parents have to attend Orientation with me?
- While we do have a Parent Orientation option for parents or any other family members, they are not required to attend orientation with you. Look through the Parent Orientation section of our website for complete information.
- How do I know what college my major is in?
- This alphabetical list may help; if you need further assistance, feel free to call our office.
- I have decided to double-major, what session should I choose?
- You will only be advised in one of your majors during orientation. You should reach out to the advisor in the other major on your own outside orientation. Some majors may have strict course paths, so you’ll need to visit with both advisors for the fall semester registration. If you'd like to call our office for more advice, we would be happy to help.
- When will I sign up for classes?
- In a group setting, a faculty or professional advisor will help you select and register for classes on the second day of Orientation. Note that the advisor you meet with may not be your assigned advisor in the fall.
- I am out of town this summer, what should I do?
- A session is offered right before classes begin for students who are unable to attend in the summer. It is most convenient for out-of-state students. Course choices are limited. Additional housing costs will apply to this session only for students living on campus in the fall.
- Can I sign up for a session that is not designated for my major?
- Once a session is closed, you may not make a reservation, please find another session that fits in your schedule. If you have further questions, please call our office.
- If I cannot attend until July or August, will I still have a good selection of classes?
- Academic offices attempt to keep seats open throughout the summer. However, there is no guarantee that your top class choices will still be open. Our faculty and professional advisors and student leader staff will help you build your schedule as best we can; we will make sure you leave with a full schedule of classes that work with your degree requirements. Remember that your schedule can be altered up until the first week of the semester.
- If I need to arrive on campus in advance or stay after orientation is over, where can I stay?
- During the summer, students who arrive early or need to stay after orientation has ended are eligible to stay in the University's Summer Visitor Housing (at the cost of the student) and can be arranged by calling 970-351-4070 or online. If you prefer to stay off campus or are coming to a session during the school year, we provide many hotel options for you.
- When should I schedule Orientation if I don't live in Colorado?
- If it’s possible, we encourage out-of-state students to attend the June or July orientation sessions. We understand many out of state students find it difficult to come to campus multiple times before fall semester. For this reason, we offer an orientation session right before classes begin.
- Do I need to purchase a parking permit before arriving at Orientation?
- No. Parking is free during your Orientation session at the University Center (between 10th and 11th Avenue on 20th Street) in either the north or south lots. There is no need to park anywhere else during Orientation, but if you wish to park somewhere else, you will need to buy a day pass from one of the daily parking dispensers.
- During Orientation, will I be able to see the room I am assigned to in the fall?
- Due to other events and conferences on campus, there is limited availability to show students their specific room. Students will get a chance to see some of the halls during their campus tour if they choose to participate. Floor plans and pictures are available on the Housing & Residential Education website to assist students in planning.
- What if I need to change or cancel my reservation?
- Reservations for a session (including changes to any support and accommodations) can be changed or cancelled by logging back into the Orientation reservation site. Reservations will be locked three business days prior the session at which time, changes or cancelation will no longer be able to be made.
- Back to top