First-Year Students Entering Summer or Fall
Welcome new incoming students! We are excited to have you join the UNC Bear community!
The two-day in person Orientation is required for all First-Year (new first-time to college) students. Once logged into the orientation system, you will complete Pre-Orientation prior to selecting an orientation date to make a reservation for.
Orientation date availability is based on the student’s major and to which college it belongs.
First-Year Students Entering Summer or Fall 2018:
You will be able to begin accessing the orientation system when it goes live in Mid-March. At which time, you may start completing Pre-Orientation and make your reservation to attend First-Year Orientation.
Colleges and their Abbreviations:
- Education and Behavioral Sciences = EBS
- Humanities and Social Sciences = HSS
- Monfort College of Business = MCB
- Natural and Health Sciences = NHS
- Performing and Visual Arts = PVA
- University College = UC
Reservations close and lock 4 business days (Mon.-Fri.) out prior to a session at which point changes cannot be made to a reservation.
First-Year Orientation Dates 2018:
Note: This is just a list of session dates. Availability of all sessions is not guaranteed. To view the current and most accurate sessions available, please log in to the orientation system when it goes live for Summer/Fall entering students in Mid-March.
Session availability is based on the colleges that you major is housed in and size limitations.
*Pre-nursing majors may sign up for any session.
**May also sign-up for other sessions as long as they are available.
This session is only for out-of-state students. Keep in mind, course choices may be limited. You will have a course schedule you will need but times and courses may not be your first choice.
- If you are attending this last orientation session of the summer, you will be able to move-in to your permanent fall housing assignment as of Sunday, August 12, 2018. So that housing is prepared for your arrival, each student will need to fill out the Early Arrival Sign Up (available sometime in July 2018) in order to be able to move in early. Students who do not fill out this link will not be approved to move in early. If your travel plans dictate dates outside of the aforementioned dates, please contact Housing and Residential Education (970-351-2721) for daily rates and availability.
Overnight accommodations for students and/or any support are NOT available for orientation because students will have begun/already have moved in to their permanent room assignment in the residence halls. If you are a student living on campus and moved in early, you will stay in your housing assignment. If you are a student living off campus, you will need to travel home and then come back the next morning for the start of day 2.
I'm First Workshop
New Student Orientation offers a workshop which precedes the start of First-Year Orientation. We highly encourage all students who identify as a first-generation college student to attend I'm First, though any student can attend.
Note: A First-generation college student means being the first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree.
LaUNCh is an optional 3-day experience offering you the opportunity to develop deeper relationships with other new students, student leaders, and staff or faculty. The combination of service projects and immersive activities creates an intimate environment that will enrich your student experience before the first semester. you must complete your orientation requirements before participating in LaUNCh.
Note: This is a tentative schedule and subject to change. The final schedule with details will be given to participants at check-in.
There are two check-in times:
7:45 - 8:15 a.m. at Wiebking Hall (University Center if attending in August) - For students and family members participating in the I'm First Workshop.
9:15 - 10:15 a.m. at Wiebking Hall (University Center if attending in August) - For students and family members not participating in the I'm First Workshop.
Note: Pre-registered parents and support people will check in for Parent Orientation with you.
Tip: Wiebking Hall and the University Center is located between 10th and 11th Avenue on 20th Street.
Day 1, 7:45 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Will include, but not limited to: I'm First Workshop, University Welcome, Meeting(s) with your group led by your Orientation Leader(s), Lunch, Faculty Success Tips, Breakout Sessions, Our Den, BEAR session, Dinner, Meeting(s) with your group, Evening activities at the Rec Center.
Day 2, 7 a.m. - When advising and registration is completed
Typically students finish registering for classes between 4 - 5 p.m., though we understand it will depend on each individual.
Will include, but not limited to: Breakfast, Check out from Wiebking, Day Two Welcome with Orientation Leader, Breakout Sessions, Staying Safe and Supported, Meeting(s) with your group, Lunch and University Fair, Online Resources, Advising and Registration (the end time is dependent on individual registration).
Optional Campus Tour.
Tip: If you need to make any campus appointments, please schedule after 4 p.m. on Day Two of your session.
Parking information to be announced.