Tips for Success in Your Online Courses
Prepare, Use Time Management and Set Personal Reminders
Managing course time around your schedule is key for your success. Since you are not required to be "in class" at any particular time, it will be up to you to fit course tasks into your busy schedule. Here are a few steps that will help you stay on track and meet your course requirements:
- Read the entire course syllabus.
- Familiarize yourself with the course timeline and online classroom at the beginning of your course.
- Set aside time each day to work on your course. Each day you may find new discussions or important announcements. The more often you visit the online classroom, the better you'll be able to respond and plan your time.
- Add important dates to your personal calendar (including "progress" goals toward larger assignments). Note when various class requirements are due, plan research or study time for larger assignments or upcoming tests, and prevent anything from taking you by surprise.
Organize and Backup the Work you Complete
Organizing your work and saving it on your own computer will help you prevent losing any completed work and allow you make progress on your work even if you aren't currently online.
- Type your discussion responses and assignments in a word processor program on your computer, save them frequently, and copy them into the Blackboard classroom when they are done.
- Name each of these files with the assignment name/number and your name and keep that saved copy on your computer.
- Include your name, course number and the assignment name/number at the top of each assignment.
- Organize your files in folders by course, and within each course it may help to organize by unit or project.
Ask for Help
Whether you need technical assistance or clarification on course assignments, help is available to you.
- Getting Started in Blackboard
- Technical support is available 24/7 from within your online classroom or here at UNC Online. Just look for links to "Technical Help" or "Technical Support."
- For course-related questions, there are many options for assistance:
- From within your classroom, you can pose questions to your classmates or your instructor in the discussion boards.
- You can email your instructor from within your online classroom or save their email address in order to email even when not logged into your classroom.