OUR Research/Creative Endeavor Support Stipends
The Office of Undergraduate Research will be offering Research/Creative Endeavor Stipends and Support Grants toward undergraduate scholarship for Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Summer 2018. Please see due dates posted in the yellow box.
Stipends will be awarded in amounts up to $1000 per student, per semester ($250 limit for supplies). While there is no guarantee of a full stipend, OUR will fund as many eligible requests as possible.
If, after all eligible requests have been funded, there is money remaining, more expensive proposals may receive additional funding. Students who receive a stipend from OUR will be expected to adhere to all UNC rules and regulations surrounding research, including issues of plagiarism and rules governing human subject research.
Each student who receives funding must also prepare a document that itemizes the research-related expenses covered by the stipend and provides a summary of the research-related activity. This document must be turned in by the end of the semester following the issuance of the stipend (if the stipend is awarded in spring or summer, the document is due by the end of fall semester). Failure to submit this document may result in OUR placing a hold on the student’s account. If a student abandons the project, or fails to complete it, they must notify OUR, and a refund of the stipend may be requested.
- Reports from Spring Stipend recipients are due no later than September 8, 2017
- Applications for Fall 2017 Stipends, Due September 28, 2017
- Abstracts for Fall 2017 Symposium, Due October 6, 2017
- Submissions to Undergraduate Research Journal Due December 1, 2017
- Applications for Spring 2018 Stipends, Due February 15, 2018
- Applications for Summer 2018 Stipends, Due March 30, 2018
- Standard research projects such as are conducted in science, social science, education, and academic disciplines.
- Creative endeavors in humanities, business, and other disciplines, which recognize such endeavors as scholarship.
- Presentation of research and/or creative endeavors at a conference.
- Conference attendance
- Clinic or master class attendance
- Membership dues for professional organizations
Fall applications will be available beginning August 28, 2017. Please note that the link to find information regarding hourly wages has changed and the one on the form no longer functions. The new link is: http://www.unco.edu/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid/work-study.aspx
Application forms will be changing, the most notable changes relating to hourly pay and supplies. Please be prepared to itemize all supply and travel requests in detail. Also, for hourly pay requests, be prepared to include the email of your faculty advisor so all hourly wages can be approved by them.
Email completed application to OUR@unco.edu.
General Due Dates
Due dates for each stipend will appear in the yellow sidebar of all OUR webpages. In general, however, due dates will be as follows:
Summer Stipends: Applications will be due in Late March. Students will be notified of awards around the middle of April. Awards, however, will not be issued until the beginning of the new fiscal year, which begins on July 1. This is not optimal, but it is necessary given the timing of UNC's Fiscal Year, and the loading of budgets.
Fall Stipends: Applications will be due in late September. Students will be notified of awards around the middle of October. Funds will be processed as quickly as possible after students are notified.
Spring Stipends: Applications will be due in mid-February. Students will be notified of awards around the first of March. Funds will be processed as quickly as possible after students are notified.