OUR Research/Creative Endeavor Support Stipends
The Office of Undergraduate Research will offer Research/Creative Endeavor Stipends and Support Grants toward undergraduate scholarship for Fall 2017. UNC Undergraduate students may apply for assistance for research supplies (up to $250.00), travel, conference presentations/performances, or as support for research and creative endeavors. Faculty, Staff, Graduate Students are not eligible to apply.
Stipends will be awarded in amounts up to $1000 per student, per semester ($250 limit for supplies). While there is no guarantee of a full stipend, OUR will fund as many eligible requests as possible.
If, after all eligible requests have been funded, there is money remaining, more expensive proposals may receive additional funding. Students who receive a stipend from OUR will be expected to adhere to all UNC rules and regulations surrounding research, including issues of plagiarism and rules governing human subject research.
Each student who receives funding must also prepare a document that itemizes the research-related expenses covered by the stipend and provides a summary of the research-related activity. This document must be turned in by the end of the semester following the issuance of the stipend (if the stipend is awarded in fall, the document is due by the end of the following spring). Failure to submit this document may result in OUR placing a hold on the student’s account. If a student abandons the project, or fails to complete it, they must notify OUR, and a refund of the stipend will be requested.
Stipends will be judged based on the criteria listed below:
- Reports from Spring Stipend recipients are due no later than September 8, 2017
- Applications for Fall 2017 Stipends, Due September 28, 2017
- Abstracts for Fall 2017 Symposium, Due October 6, 2017
- Fall Symposium, November 15, 3:00-6:00
- Reports from Summer Stipend recipients are due no later than November 17, 2017
- Submissions to Undergraduate Research Journal Due December 1, 2017
- Applications for Spring 2018 Stipends, Due February 15, 2018
- Applications for Summer 2018 Stipends, Due March 30, 2018
- Reports from Fall Stipend recipients are due no later than April 27, 2018
- Standard research projects such as are conducted in science, social science, education, and academic disciplines.
- Creative endeavors in humanities, business, and other disciplines, which recognize such endeavors as scholarship.
- Presentation of research and/or creative endeavors at a conference.
- Conference attendance
- Clinic or master class attendance
- Membership dues for professional organizations
Fall applications are available. Click here to download the new application form. This new form is an editable PDF, so you should be able to enter your information directly into the document. Please be prepared to itemize all supply and travel requests in detail. Also, for hourly pay requests, be prepared to include the email of your faculty advisor so all hourly wages can be approved by them. Fall applications are due by 5:00, September 28, 2017. Please Email completed application to Dr. Janice Dickensheets at OUR@unco.edu.
General Due Dates
Due dates for each stipend will appear in the yellow sidebar of all OUR web pages. In general, however, due dates will be as follows:
Summer Stipends: Applications will be due in Late March. Students will be notified of awards around the middle of April. Awards, however, will not be issued until the beginning of the new fiscal year, which begins on July 1, with funds being dispersed within the first week of July. This is not optimal, but it is necessary given the timing of UNC's Fiscal Year, and the loading of budgets.
Fall Stipends: Applications will be due in late September. Students will be notified of awards around the middle of October. Funds will be processed as quickly as possible after students are notified.
Spring Stipends: Applications will be due in mid-February. Students will be notified of awards around the first of March. Funds will be processed as quickly as possible after students are notified.