Brief Guide to Fair Housing
There are both state and federal laws which prohibit discrimination in housing. Those laws prohibit discrimination in housing based on RACE, CREED, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, SEX, DISABILITY, AND FAMILIAL STATUS (families with children under the age of 18). All of the following are prohibited under fair housing laws if based on any of the above factors:
- TO REFUSE TO SHOW, RENT OR LEASE A DWELLING.
· This includes representing that the dwelling is not available when in fact it is.
- TO IMPOSE UNEQUAL TERMS, CONDITIONS OR PRIVILEGES OF HOUSING.
· Quoting a rental price or security deposit higher than that paid by tenants who are of another race, color, creed, national origin,
- TO SEPARATE, SEGREGATE OR “STEER” IN HOUSING.
- TO HARASS, THREATEN, OR RETALIATE AGAINST SOMEONE BECAUSE OF RACE, RELIGION, ETC. BECAUSE A PERSON EXERCISED FAIR HOUSING RIGHTS, REFUSED TO VIOLATE THE LAW OR COOPERATED IN A FAIR HOUSING INVESTIGATION OR HEARING.
- TO PUBLISH DISCRIMINATOY ADS, MAKE INQUIRIES OR KEEP RECORDS ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, CREED, ETC.
- TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN.
- FAILING TO MAKE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION IN RULES, POLICIES, PRACTICES OR SERVICES TO ACCOMMODATE THE HANDICAPPED.
If you feel your civil rights have been violated, please contact the local U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Office in Denver at (800) CALL-FHA (800-225-5342) or (303) 672-5440.
*Federal fair housing regulations do not specifically include sexual orientation and gender identity as prohibited bases. However, a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) person's experience with sexual orientation or gender identity housing discrimination may still be covered by the Fair Housing Act. If you believe you have experienced (or are about to experience) housing discrimination, contact the Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity at (800) 669-9777 or via e-mail at LGBTFairhousing@hud.gov.
Additionally, the State of Colorado has specific bans on both sexual orientation and gender identity & expression housing discrimination. The State of Colorado’s Department of Regulatory Agencies oversees the enforcement of these bans through its Colorado Civil Rights Division, and can be contacted at (303) 894-2997 or via e-mail at CCRD@dora.state.co.us.