Robert P. Houser
- Management of faculty and academic affairs
- Develop college hiring plan
- Maintain and update faculty search, sabbatical, workload, awards, and promotion/tenure guidelines
- Maintain and update effective faculty and Director notification procedures for critical timelines
- Refine and data mine faculty database
- Refine and develop college policies and procedures
- Develop and deliver faculty programming and workshops (mentoring, policies/procedures, and promotion/tenure)
- Management of college research portfolio (enhance and encourage faculty scholarship by supporting grants development; encourage growth and impact of interdisciplinary RIG efforts; review and approve grant applications and graduate faculty status candidates; supervise the college instrumentation personnel; manage college space/facilities utilization)
- Serve as an effective stand in during the Dean’s absence and as an effective advocate for the college
- Assist in the development of the college website and other promotional materials; assist in overall college planning, budgeting, and management
- Instruction, research, and service in support of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Dr. Houser comes to UNC with experience in both faculty and administrative roles at the University of Oklahoma (OU), having served on the faculty since 1999 and as Assistant Chair of his department from 2006-2010. Specializing in synthetic inorganic and bioinorganic chemistry, he has a distinguished record in his discipline, authoring or co-authoring over 40 research publications, a number of which have been collaborative works with students and postdoctoral researchers, and garnering as PI or Co-PI more than $1.5 million in extramural research funding. Among his extramural support has been a highly regarded CAREER award from the National Science Foundation.
Dr. Houser earned his B.S. degree in Chemistry from Colorado State University. He subsequently earned his Ph.D. in Chemistry at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis and completed a postdoctoral appointment at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech). His non-academic leadership and administrative experience includes several years as a U.S. Army Officer.
Phone: (970) 351-2877