- 1985 Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- 1980 M.A., The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- 1973 B.S., James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- 2003--present Professor, School of Sport & Exercise Science, University of Northern Colorado
- 1995—present Director, Sport Marketing Research Institute (S.M.R.I.)
- 2006-07 Interim Assistant Dean, College of Natural and Health Sciences
- 1995–2002 Associate Professor and Associate Director (1999-2002), School of Kinesiology & Physical Education, University of Northern Colorado
- 1989–1995 Assistant Professor, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- 1986–1989 Assistant Professor, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- Sport Administration: Management and Leadership
- Finance for Sport Managers
- Public and Media Relations
- Sport Marketing and Consumer Behavior
- Information acquisition and processing behaviors
- Marketing communications
- Consumer Behavior
Sport Marketing Research Institute
Students are encouraged to involve themselves in faculty research projects and this is facilitated by participating in research conducted by the Sport Marketing Research Institute (SMRI). The primary focus of SMRI is to provide sport delivery organizations with research based information that will assist sport executives with marketing, planning and other salient sport business decisions. The SMRI has conducted research for the U.S.O.C., USA Swimming, the LPGA, YMCA of the Rockies, US Figure Skating, UNC Athletic Department, Budweiser Events Center, among others, focusing on consumers’ purchase patterns, satisfaction, and information processing behaviors.
Selected Scholarly Work
- Casper, J., Gray, D.P., and Stellino, M. (In Press). A sport commitment model perspective on adult tennis players' participation frequency and purchase intention. Sport Management Review.
- Jackowski, M., & Gray, D.P. (2004). SportNEST: A nested approach to segmenting the sport consumer market. In Kahle, L., & Riley, C. (eds.) Sports Marketing and the Psychology of Marketing Communication, Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Gray, D.P., & McEvoy, C. (2004). Sport marketing: Strategies and tactics. In Parkhouse, B. (ed.) The management of sport: Its foundation and application (4th ed.), St. Louis: Mosby.
- Shilbury, D., Gray, D. P., & Madella, A. (2003). Sport management. In Directory of Sport Science (3rd ed.). International Council of Sport Science and Physical Education.
- Daughtrey, C., Gray, D.P., Gillentine, A., Frontczak, N. & Sawyer, L. (2001). Athletic success and its impact on the marketing of the university. The International Journal of Sport Management.
- Gray, D. P., Casper, J., Finley, P., Halsey, J., Hsieh, L. & Wisdom, T. (2003) Marketing Research, YMCA of the Rockies. Analysis of programs and client satisfaction for YMCA resident resort, Winter Park, Colorado.
- Gray, D. P., Chen, M., Hsieh, L. & Hadley, T. (2002) Marketing Research, United States Figure Skating Needs Assessment. Analysis of programs and client satisfaction for United States Figure Skating, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- McEvoy, C. & Gray, D. P. (2001) Marketing Research, UNC Athletic Department Blue and Gold Contributors. Analysis. Analysis of Blue and Gold patron giving motives, Greeley, Colorado
- Gray, D.P., & Sharp, L. (2007). Branded Entertainment in Sport. Paper presented at the 2007 meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management, Miami, Florida.
- Cuneen, J., Verner, B., and Gray, D.P. (2007). The Scholarship of Engagement: Initiatives for Collaboration Between the Sport Management Professoriate and the Sport Industry. Paper presented at the 2007 meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management, Miami, Florida.
- Gray, D.P., Cuneen, J., and Verner, B. (2005) Principles and Practices in Assessing Student Learning and Program Excellence. Paper presented at the 2007 meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Casper, J., & Gray, D. P. (2003, June). A social psychological model of marketing for sports participation. Poster presented at the 2003 meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management, Ithaca, New York.
- Chen, M., Hsieh, L., Gray, D. P., & Desbordes, M. (2003, June). Teenage consumers’ information search behaviors: A cross-national comparison. Paper presented at the 2003 meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management, Ithaca, New York.
- Gray, D. P. (2002, June). An analysis of consumer pre-purchase decision making in sport: Role of involvement, attitude toward information, and information search behaviors. Paper presented at the 2002 meeting of the North American Society for Sport Management, Canmore, Canada