- 1999 Ed.D., University of Northern Colorado , Greeley, CO
- 1996 M.S., University of Oregon , Eugene, OR
- 1993 B.A., University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 1999 - 2001 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, UCLA , International Center for Talent Development , Los Angeles, CA
- 2001 - Present, Assistant Professor of Sport & Exercise Science, University of Northern Colorado , Greeley , CO
Areas of Specialization
- Social Influence (Parents and Siblings) on Motivation, Self-Perceptions and Emotion in Youth Achievement
- Physical Activity and Childhood Obesity
- Attraction to Sport and Physical Activity in Special Populations
- Youth Development
Dr. Megan Babkes Stellino specializes in the area of social psychology of sport and physical activity. She teaches courses on the psychology of sport/exercise, sociology of sport/exercise, developmental kinesiology, research methods, applications of sport psychology and theories of motivation. Her research focuses on the influence that significant others have on the developmental psychosocial components (perceptions of competence, motivation, body image, and affective responses) of youth achievement. She also studies the impact that Special Olympics, and other adapted physical domain activities, have on individuals with mental retardation and their families. Additionally, she conducts research on how the choices that children make during free time (e.g., school recess) and the nature of social relationships relate to obesity.
- Babkes Stellino, M., & Sinclair, C.D. (in review). Examination of recess physical activity intensity and patterns. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science.
- Erwin, H. E., Babkes Stellino, M., Beets, M. W., & Beighle, A. (in review). Effect of autonomy on elementary students’ motivation and physical activity levels in physical education. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
- Babkes Stellino, M., & Sinclair, C.D. (in review). Psychological predictors of children’s recess physical activity motivation and behavior. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
- Ward, S., Farnsworth, C., Babkes Stellino, M., & Perrett, J. (2012). Attraction to physical actviity for youth who are bvi/dhh at a residential school. Californian Journal of Health Promotion, 10(1), 89-98.
- Babkes Stellino, M., & Sinclair, C.D. (2012). From atheoretical to motivation theory-based youth discretionary-time physical activity promotion: Current and future directions. Revista de Iberomaericana de Psicologia del Ejercicio y el Deporte, 6(2), 283-298.
- Kirkland, R., Karlin, N., Stellino, M., & Pulos, S. (2011). Basic psychological needs satisfaction, motivation, and exercise in older adults. Activities, Adaptation, & Aging, 35(3), 181-196.
- Babkes Stellino, M., Partridge, J.A., & Moore, K.L. (2011). Social influence on emotion in sport. In J. Thatcher, M. Jones & D. Lavallee, (Eds.), Coping and emotion in sport (2nd ed., 118-142). London: Routledge.
- Ward, S., Farnsworth, C., Babkes Stellino, M., & Perrett, J. (2011). Parental influence and the attraction of physical activity for youths who are visually impaired at a residential-day school. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 105, 493-498
- Beighle, A., Beets, M.W., Erwin, H.E., White, J., Moore, J.B., & Stellino, M. (2010). Physical activity promotion in afterschool programs. Afterschool Matters, 11, 24-32.
- Babkes Stellino, M., Sinclair, C.D., Partridge, J.A., & McClary King, K. (2010). Differences in children’s recess physical activity: Recess activity of the week (RAW) intervention. Journal of School Health. 80(9), 436-444.
- Scanlan, T.K., Scanlan, L.A., & Babkes Stellino, M. (2009). Athlete development. In R.A. Shweder, T.R. Bidell, A.C. Dailey, S.D. Dixon, P.J. Miller, & J. Modell (Eds.), The Chicago Companion to the Child (pp. 72-73). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- LaVoi, N.M., & Babkes Stellino, M. (2008). The relation between perceived parent-created sport climate and competitive youth male hockey players’ good and poor sport behaviors. The Journal of Psychology, 142 (5), 471-496.
- Sinclair, C.D., Babkes Stellino, M., & Partridge, J.A. (2008). Recess activities of the week (RAW): Promoting increases in children’s free time physical activity. Strategies: A Journal for Physical and Sport Educators, 21 (5), 21-24.
- Babkes Stellino, M., & Sinclair, C.D. (2008). Intrinsically motivated, free-time physical activity: Considerations for recess. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, & Dance (JOPERD), 79(4), 37-40.
- Partridge, J.A., Brustad, R.J., & Babkes Stellino, M. (2008). Social influence in sport. In T.S. Horn (Ed.), Advances in Sport Psychology (3rd ed., pp. 269-291). Human Kinetics: Champaign, IL.
- Babkes Stellino, M., & Partridge, J.A. (2007). Motives and deterrents to sport and physical activity participation amongst underserved youth. The Journal of Youth Sports, 3 (1), 17-22.
- Scanlan, T.K., Babkes, M.L., & Scanlan, L.A. (2005). Participation in sport: A developmental glimpse at emotion. In J.L. Mahoney, J.S. Eccles, & R. Larson (Eds.), Organized Activities as Contexts of Development: Extracurricular Activities, After School and Community Programs (pp. 275-309). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc: Mahwah, NJ.
- Babkes, M.L. & Partridge, J.A. (2004). Social influence on emotion in sport. In D. Lavallee, J. Thatcher, & M. Jones (Eds.), Coping and emotion in sport (pp. 145-166). Nova Science Publishers: Hauppauge, NY.
- Welk, G.J., Babkes, M.L., & Schaben, J. (2004). Parental influences on youth sport participation. In M. Silva (Ed.), Biosocial approach of youth sports (pp. 95-122). Faculty of Sport Science and Physical Education: Coimbra, Portugal.
- Babkes, M. L., & Weiss, M. R. (1999). Parental influence on children’s cognitive and affective responses to competitive soccer participation. Pediatric Exercise Science, 11, 44-62.
- Stellino, M.B. (2010) UNC AVP for Research Summer Research Supportive Initiative. Social psychological predictors of children’s sport and physical activity experiences. [$4,500]
- Stellino, M.B. (2009). UNC SPARC – Provost Faculty Development & Travel Award. Measuring Children’s Physical Activity: Pictorial Self-Reports to Augment Pedometer Data. [$1,825]
- Erwin, H. E., Beighle, A., Stellino, M. B., & Abel, M. (2009). University of Kentucky Office of the Vice President for Research. Effect of choice on student motivation and physical activity levels in ementary physical education. [$10,000]
- Sinclair, C.D., & Babkes Stellino, M. (2008). AAHPERD/Research Consortium Research Grant. Psychological Predictors of Children’s Recess Physical Activity. [$5,532].
Dr. Babkes Stellino currently serves as co-chair of the University of Northern Colorado IRB. She is also dedicated to her active involvement with Head Start Body Start and the National Center for Physical Development and Outdoor Play as a grant reviewer and Physical Activity Consultant. She conducts a variety a workshops for participants, parents, teachers and coaches involved with youth sport and physical activity opportunities as well as interscholastic athletic programs in the Front Range (Denver Metro) area. As a former collegiate gymnast and certified group fitness instructor, she currently enjoys a wide variety of physical activities, staying in touch with friends, reading historical fiction, watching movies, scrapbooking, sewing, and traveling. She is married and has two young sons.