PHYSICS & ASTRONOMY HOME
The Department of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Northern Colorado provides students a complete and rigorous undergraduate education in physics culminating in a Bachelor of Science degree. Students may also pursue one of four emphasis areas, each of which add specialty courses to the physics core:
- Engineering Physics
- Mathematical Physics
- Secondary Teaching
We are a dedicated faculty that is passionate about teaching and we are committed to the meaningful involvement of undergraduates in research. The physics curriculum provides the ideal preparation for physics or engineering graduate school, careers in scientific research in industry or at national laboratories, or careers in education. With small class sizes and varied research opportunities, the Department of Physics & Astronomy at UNC offers a unique learning opportunity for students interested in the natural sciences.
- UNC Physics students Lee Ismay, JJ Peek, Graham Stringert, and Jeremiah Schwartz presented their work at the Colorado Space Grant Symposium held in Boulder, CO.
- Congratulations to the 2015 Academic Scholar Award winners: Amber Bekkali, Alex Lidiak, Patrick Morales-Mendoza, Taylor Plantt, Steven Rutherford, and Anthony Saccomanno.
- UNC Physics presented their work on Supercontinuum Optical Vortices at the Colorado Ultrafast Photonics Initiative (CUPhI) workshop held in Granby, CO April 10-12.
- UNC Physics students Donovan Anderson, Amber Bekkalil, and Ryan Fabian participated in a successful DemoSat balloon launch.
- UNC Physics students JJ Peek, Anthony Saccomanno, and Graham Stringert participated in the NASA Colorado Space Grant Consortium Robotics Challenge at the Great Sand Dunes National Park on April 4.
- UNC Physics students Maggie Hodge and Amber Bekkali attended the 2015 APS Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics at UT-Brownsville January 16-18.
- UNC Physics presented their work on Color Schlieren Imaging with Monochromatic Sources at the 2014 OSA Frontiers in Optics conference in Tucson, AZ.
- Physics & Math major Donovan Anderson named 2014 UNC homecoming king!
- UNC Physics presented three posters on Physics Education Research at the summer meeting of the American Association of Physics Teachers in Minneapolis, MN.
- Congratulations to the 2014 UNC Physics graduates!
- UNC Physics major Zach Hafen presented his work on modeling balance with stochastic processes at the Colorado Space Grant Symposium at CU-Boulder.
- UNC physics participated in the Colorado Space Grant Consortium Robotics Challenge at the Great Sand Dunes.
- Congratulations to the 2014 Physics Academic Scholar Award winners: Zach Hafen, Marius Herlea Jr, Lee Ismay, Casey Rogers and Danny Thistle!!
- UNC Physics published their work on Color schlieren imaging with a two-path, double knife edge system in the journal Optics Express.
- UNC Physics presented "Clarifying the Force Concept Inventory via Think-Aloud Interviews" at the AAPT Winter Meeting.