Knowledge Requirements and Learning Outcomes
Domain 1: Scientific and Evidence Base of Practice: integration of scientific information
and research into practice
- KRDN 1.1: Demonstrate how to locate, interpret, evaluate and use professional literature
to make ethical, evidence-based practice decisions.
- KRDN 1.2: Use current information technologies to locate and apply evidence-based
guidelines and protocols.
- KRDN 1.3: Apply critical thinking skills.
Domain 2: Professional Practice Expectations: beliefs, values, attitudes and behaviors
for the professional dietitian level of practice
- KRDN 2.1: Demonstrate effective and professional oral and written communication and
- KRDN 2.2: Describe the governance of nutrition and dietetics practice, such as the
Scope of Nutrition and Dietetics Practice and the Code of Ethics for the Profession
of Nutrition and Dietetics; and describe interprofessional relationships in various
- KRDN 2.3: Assess the impact of a public policy position on nutrition and dietetics
- KRDN 2.4: Discuss the impact of health care policy and different health care delivery
systems on food and nutrition services.
- KRDN 2.5: Identify and describe the work of interprofessional teams and the roles
of others with whom the registered dietitian nutritionist collaborates in the delivery
of food and nutrition services.
- KRDN 2.6: Demonstrate an understanding of cultural competence/sensitivity.
- KRDN 2.7: Demonstrate identification with the nutrition and dietetics profession through
activities such as participation in professional organizations and defending a position
on issues impacting the nutrition and dietetics profession.
- KRDN 2.8: Demonstrate an understanding of the importance and expectations of a professional
in mentoring and precepting others.
Domain 3: Clinical and Customer Services: development and delivery of information,
products and services to individuals, groups and populations
- KRDN 3.1: Use the Nutrition Care Process to make decisions, identify nutrition-related
problems and determine and evaluate nutrition interventions.
- KRDN 3.2: Develop an educational session or program/educational strategy for a target
- KRDN 3.3: Demonstrate counseling and education methods to facilitate behavior change
for and enhance wellness for diverse individuals and groups.
- KRDN 3.4: Explain the processes involved in delivering quality food and nutrition
- KRDN 3.5: Describe basic concepts of nutritional genomics.
Domain 4: Practice Management and Use of Resources: strategic application of principles
of management and systems in the provision of services to individuals and organizations
- KRDN 4.1: Apply management theories to the development of programs or services.
- KRDN 4.2: Evaluate a budget and interpret financial data.
- KRDN 4.3: Describe the regulation system related to billing and coding, what services
are reimbursable by third party payers, and how reimbursement may be obtained.
- KRDN 4.4: Apply the principles of human resource management to different situations.
- KRDN 4.5: Describe safety principles related to food, personnel and consumers.
- KRDN 4.6: Analyze data for assessment and evaluate data to be used in decision-making
for continuous quality improvement.