Prospective 2nd Degree Student
Admission to UNC and Advising
As a 2nd Degree student, we invite you to visit our campus! UNC offers a number of different campus visit options:
- Nursing Spotlights are short information sessions for any potential student, comprised of about an hour long group-setting meeting/presentation with a School of Nursing faculty member and a tour of the nursing school facility. An optional campus tour is available following the meeting.
- Sneak Peaks are designed for potential students interested in the Honors Program.
2nd Degree Student Admission to UNC
If you are seeking a 2nd Bachelor's degree in nursing at UNC you will need to complete the steps below. (A separate application to the School of Nursing is required to be considered for admission in to the clinical nursing program.) The Office of Admissions does accept applications year round and reviews them on a rolling basis, which means you will receive an admission decision two to three weeks after submitting your application and all supporting documents.
For admission to UNC, complete the following steps:
- Apply to UNC or reactivate your student status.
- If you have completed your baccalaureate degree at another institution, you must complete an admission application through the UNC Admissions Office in order to pay undergraduate tuition rates. Under "Application Type" choose the "Four-Year College Transfer" option.
- If you received your first bachelor's degree at UNC, you need to reactivate yourself as a student by filling out the Student Information Form found on the Registrar's website, and then complete the Major/Minor Change Form and declare "Nursing (Seeking)" as your Major/Emphasis.
Advising for Admitted 2nd Degree Students
- The School of Nursing requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale of most recent 45 credit hours for application.
- A grade of “C” or higher is required in each of the prerequisite courses (or course equivalent). “C-” is not acceptable.
- For specific admission criteria visit
School of Nursing Admission Information
Once these three steps are completed, call the School of Nursing office to schedule your appointment with the Pre-Nursing advisor, 970-351-2293
- Have your Bear ID# ready to reserve your appointment time.
- Print and bring your transfer evaluation paperwork to the appointment
All required prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the spring semester of application to the School of Nursing. Not all required prerequisite courses are offered every semester so careful planning between you and your advisor will be necessary.