Second Degree Seeking Nursing Students
Admission to UNC and Pre-Nursing Advising
As a second degree seeking student, we encourage you to visit our campus! Nursing Spotlights are short information sessions for any potential student, comprised of about an hour long group meeting/presentation with a School of Nursing faculty member and a tour of the nursing school facility. An optional campus tour is available following the meeting.
Application for entry into the upper division clinical nursing major is a separate application from the UNC application. Therefore, individuals are required to be admitted to UNC prior to applying to the School of Nursing. The School of Nursing application is available online in early November and is submitted during a designated timeframe in January every year.
Admission to UNC
If you are seeking a second bachelor's degree at UNC you will need to meet the UNC undergraduate admission requirements for the academic year for which you are applying. See the UNC Catalog for current admission requirements.
The UNC Office of Admissions does accept applications year round and reviews them on a rolling basis, which means you will receive an admission to UNC decision two to three weeks after submitting your application including all supporting documents.
For admission to UNC, complete the following steps:
- Apply to UNC or reactivate your student status.
- If you have completed your baccalaureate degree at another institution, you must complete an admission application through the UNC Admissions Office in order to pay undergraduate tuition rates. Under "Application Type" choose the "Four-Year College Transfer" option.
- If you received your first bachelor's degree at UNC, you need to reactivate yourself as a student by filling out the Student Information Form found on the Registrar's website, and then complete the Major/Minor Change Form and declare "Nursing (Seeking)" as your Major/Emphasis.
Pre-Nursing Advising for Second Degree Students
Once these three steps are completed, call the School of Nursing office to schedule your appointment with the Pre-Nursing advisor, 970-351-2293
- Have your Student Bear ID# ready to reserve your appointment time.
- Print and bring your transfer evaluation paperwork to the appointment
All required prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the spring semester of application to the School of Nursing. Not all required prerequisite courses are offered every semester so careful planning between you and your advisor will be necessary.