Richard Grassl , Ph.D.
- Email: email@example.com
- Ph.D., Mathematics, University of New Mexico (1974)
- MS, Mathematics, University of Oregon (1967)
- BA, Mathematics, Santa Clara University (1965)
Papers 5 – 16 are coauthored with T. Mingus, a mathematics educator at Western Michigan University.
- Impact of proof validations on proof writing in abstract algebra (R. Powers, C. Craviotto) accepted November 2009 by IJMEST.
- Enumeration of rectangles in a tableau shape (T. Mingus, R. Diaz, L. Andrew, F. Parker) accepted October 2009 by the NCTM publication The Mathematics Teacher.
- The UNC Mathematics Contest: Learning – Growing – Bonding, appeared November 2007, FOCUS, an MAA Publication Vol 27, #8 p12-13
- A study of the use of a handheld computer algebra system in discrete mathematics (with R. Powers, D. Allison), Inter. J. for Technology in Mathematics Education, 2006, Vol 13, No1, pp 103-114.
- Team teaching and cooperative groups in abstract algebra, accepted May 2005, Inter. J. of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, Vol 38, No 5, Jan 2007, pp 581-597.
- Cyclotomic polynomial factors, The Mathematical Gazette, Vol., 89, July 2005 pp.195-201.
- On the shoulders of technology: Calculators as cognitive amplifiers, International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, September – October 2002, Vol. 33, No. 5, 715-723.
- Nurturing The Mathematically Gifted – Brian’s Story, 2001 Research Briefs of the National Association for Gifted Children, pp 36-46.
- Peak numbers, The Mathematical Gazette, Vol. 86, March 2002, pp44-50.
- Preservice teacher beliefs about proofs, School Science and Mathematics, Vol. 99 No. 8, December 1999, pp 438-444.
- What constitutes a nurturing environment for the growth of mathematically gifted students?, School Science and Mathematics, Vol. 99, No.6, October 1999 pp 286-293.
- Discrete mathematics retooled, Mathematics and Computer Education, Winter 1999 Vol.33. No. 1, pp 16-26.
- Using technology to enhance problem solving and critical thinking skills, Mathematics andComputer Education, Fall 1997, Vol 31, No. 3 pp 293-300.
- Nurturing growth of young mathematicians through mathematics contests, Chapter 32 in the 1999 NCTM book Developing Mathematically Promising Students.
- Keep counting those boxes, there’s more, Mathematics Teacher, February 1998, Vol 91, #2, pp 122-127.
- Algorithmic and recursive thinking: current beliefs and their implications for the future, Chapter 4 in the 1998 NCTM Yearbook on Algorithms.
- Counting tile patterns, Mathematics Teacher (NCTM) Vol 89, No 1, January 1996, pp 8-1.
- The squares do fit, The Mathematical Gazette, Vol 79, July 1995, pp 361-364.
- Equivalence classes and a familiar combinatorial identity (with T. Mingus), The Mathematical Gazette, March 1998 issue, Vol 82, #493.
- Lattice paths to hyperplanes (with K. Johnson), Expositiones Mathematicae, 11 (1993), 419-431.
- Where have you seen n(n-1)/2 before? (with Robert Lochel), the Mathematical Gazette, Vol. 76, Nov. 1992, pp. 378-389.
- Pascalian rectangles modulo-m (with K. Johnson, Joseph McCanna, and L. A. Székely), Quaestiones Mathematicae, 14 (1991), pp. 383-400.
- Euler numbers and skew hooks, Mathematics Magazine, Vol. 66, No. 3, June, 1993, pp. 188.
- Composition of positive integers (with K. Johnson and R. Vickrey), Mathematics Teacher,Vol. 84, No. 3, March 1991, pp. 228-233.
- Hook and shifted hook numbers (with A. P. Mullhaupt), Discrete Mathematics 79 (1989/90), pp. 153-167.
- Enumerating 3 by 3 N-matrices with given row and column sums (with A. P. Hillman), Congressus Numeratium, December 1986, pp. 103-108.
- Reverse plane partitions and tableau hook numbers. Reprinted in Young Tableaux inCombinatorics Invariant Theory and Algebra, pp. 23-28, an Anthology, edited by Joseph P. S. Kung, Academic Press,1982.
- Slicing skew-tableau frames with (A. Hillman), European Journal of Combinatorics, 3 (1982), pp. 143-151.
- Self-generating sequences, The Fibonacci Quarterly, Nov. (1982), Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 299-310.
- Polynomial ring generated by tableau shapes (with A. Hillman), European Journal ofCombinatorics, 2 (1981), pp. 27-39.
- Skew tableau and the insertion algorithms (with A. Hillman),Journal of Combinatorics, Information and System Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 4, 1980, pp. 305-316.
- Functions on tableau frames (with A. Hillman), Discrete Mathematics 25 (1979), pp. 245-255.
- Polynomials in denumerable indeterminates, Pacific Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 97, No. 2, 1981, pp. 415-423.
- Multisectioned partitions of integers, Pacific Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 69, No. 2, 1977, pp. 415-424.
- Reverse plane partitions and tableau hook numbers (with A. Hillman), Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Ser. A., September 1976, pp. 216-221.
- Fibonacci Numbers and Zigzag Hasse diagrams (with A.P. Hillman and M.T. Stroot) The Fibonacci Quarterly, Vol 1, No 3, 1963, pp43-45.