Paul Nutter, Assistant Professor of Meteorology
- Ph.D. University of Oklahoma, 2003
- M. S. University of Arizona, 1996
- B. S. University of Massachusetts at Lowell, 1993
- E-mail: Paul.Nutter@unco.edu
- Phone: (970) 351-2398
- Fax: (970) 351-4197
- Office: Ross Hall 3235
- MET 110 Our Violent Atmosphere (3 Credit Hours LAC, Lecture)
- MET 205 General Meteorology (4 Credit Hours LAC, Lecture/Lab)
- MET 221 Weather Forecasting Seminar (1 Credit Hour, Lecture)
- MET 401/501 Dynamic Meteorology I (3 Credit Hours, Lecture)
- MET 402/502 Dynamic Meteorology II (4 Credit Hours, Lecture/Lab)
- MET 442/542 Synoptic Meteorology Laboratory (3 Credit Hours, Lab with Lecture)
- ESCI 599 Earth Science Seminar (1 Credit Hour, Coordinator)
- ESCI 695 Special Topics: Problems and Methods in Geoscience Prediction (Lecture, Fall 2007 only)
- MET 376 Meteorological COOP Education
- Variable credit, typically for weather broadcast interns at area news stations.
- MET 495 Directed Studies
- Variable credit, typically advising undergraduate research.
- ESCI 697/699 Graduate Research / Thesis
- Variable credit, advising graduate research.
Non-Scheduled Courses (non-FTE assignment)
Areas of Specialization
Weather forecasting and analysis, Dynamic meteorology, Numerical methods, Ensemble forecasting, Predictability, Statistical forecast verification.
Colorado cyclogenesis, Communicating uncertainty in weather forecasts, Conflicts between forecast theory and practice, Ensemble prediction, Error propagation
Service Activities (ongoing and prior)
Faculty Advisor, UNC Student Chapter of the American Meteorological Society; Academic/Career Advising; Linux Network Administrator; Faculty Senate; Information Technology Committee; Manuscript Reviewer for Monthly Weather Review and Weather and Forecasting; Weather Education / Outreach through local K-12 schools.
Starkenburg, D. P., and P. A. Nutter, 2012: Quasigeostrophic dynamics of the Arctic coastal jet in summer. Mon. Wea. Rev., Submitted. [Manuscript and image loops available here]
Nutter, P. A., D. Gaarder, J. Gunderson, C. Drennen, 2010: Weather education for disaster recovery: Returning control in a time of personal crisis. Bull. Amer. Met. Soc. 91, 1691-1698.
Nutter, P. A., D. Stensrud, and M. Xue, 2004: Effects of coarsely-resolved and temporally-interpolated lateral boundary conditions on the dispersion of limited-area ensemble forecasts. Mon. Wea. Rev. 132, 2358-2377.
Nutter, P. A., M. Xue, and D. Stensrud, 2004: Application of lateral boundary perturbations to help restore dispersion in limited-area model ensemble forecasts. Mon. Wea. Rev., 132, 2378-2390.
Nutter, P. A., and J. Manobianco, 1999: Evaluation of the 29-km Eta model. Part I: Objective verification at three selected stations. Wea. Forecasting, 14, 5-17.
Manobianco, J., and P. A. Nutter, 1999: Evaluation of the 29-km Eta model. Part II: Subjective verification over Florida. Wea. Forecasting, 14, 18-37.
Nutter, P. A., S. L. Mullen, and D. P. Baumhefner, 1998: The impact of initial condition uncertainty on numerical simulations of blocking. Mon. Wea. Rev., 126, 2482-2502.