Welcome to the Nutrition & Dietetics Program!
We prepare students to meet the changing needs of society and industry in food and nutrition. You'll develop a sound knowledge base in science and acquitted professional skills that will prepare you to work with the nutritional needs of populations of all ages. You'll study physiological, biological and behavioral sciences to provide the foundation for a wide range of studies applicable to the community, clinical, private practice and management aspects of nutrition in health care. Dietetics students develop human relationship skills and expertise in addressing nutritional needs for human growth and development throughout the life cycle.
Completion of the Didactic Program in Dietetics is the first step toward dietetic registration. You'll have the knowledge and skill competencies defined by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to apply for a supervised practice program in dietetics and the following registration exam to become a Registered Dietitian.
- Congratulations to Kittra Gonzales, a senior Dietetics major, on receipt of a Fall 2012 NHS Student Research Fund award for her proposal entitled "The Impact of Residence on Dietary Intake, Food Availability, and Meal Patterning Among University Undergraduate Students."
- Kittra Gonzales and Peter Nguyen Accepted into the CREATE Health Scholars Program
- Amanda Hernandez Selected to be NHS Student Ambassador in 2012-13
- Meghan Smith, Emily Cecil, and Laura Hewett, present the community garden project to the NHS Advisory Board. These students worked with Dr. Jamie Erskine last summer to develop this project and are “paying it forward” by mentoring another group of students who will work on the project this summer.
- The Spring 2012 Undergraduate Research Journal at UNC includes an article by Megan Ehrlich and Dr. Alena Clark entitled Evaluating Healthy Meal Choices on Children’s Menus in Sit-Down Restaurants.
- The Student Dietetic Association receives the Student Organization, Leadership, and Advisor Recognition (SOLAR) Award for Student Organization Event - Cans to Candelaria. Dr. Alana Cline is the club advisor.
- Six B.S. Dietetics Majors Receive NHS Undergraduate Academic Scholar Awards and One is Invited to Provide the Student Address at the Academic Scholar Awards Banquet.
- UNC Breastfeeding Lactation Station Sponsored by the Women's Resource Center and the Nutrition & Dietetics Program.
- Student Dietetic Association to Take Over Cans to Candelaria