To be admitted to the UNC Dietetic Internship, the prospective intern, sponsoring facility AND the preceptors must all meet certain requirements. TOGETHER they are evaluated for potential success.
Minimum Requirements for Applicants:
- Completion of an approved / accredited undergraduate program resulting in a Baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college / university or a foreign degree equivalent to at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
- Verification of Completion form or Intent to Complete form signed by DPD Program Director of college/university where dietetics courses were taken.
- Grade Point Average (GPA): All Undergraduate and Graduate courses combined must be at least a 2.8 on a 4.0 scale.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): If your cumulative GPA (from all institutions attended) is between a 2.8-2.99 you MUST take the GRE and earn a minimum score of a 286 (50th percentile). Exceptions to these minimum requirements may include:
- Documented learning disability
- TOEFL scores of not less than 260 on the Computer-based test OR 600 on the paper-based test, to accompany GRE-Verbal scores of 144-146
- Exceptions will be considered and acceptance will be decided by the review committee.
- E-mail address that is active throughout the internship experience, as well as internet access.
- A completed application packet must be submitted prior to due date.
You may be asked to participate in a telephone interview. If you are not requested to participate, this does not mean that your application is not being considered.
Minimum Requirements for Preceptors/Facilities:
- It is highly encouraged to seek Registered Dietitians as preceptors.
- Registered Dietitians are a requirement for your clinical rotation preceptor but for your other rotations it is advised but not mandatory.
- Preceptors must be able to document appropriate continuing education for the previous two years.
- Preceptors must have adequate time to provide required supervision of the student.
- A minimum of three preceptors must be included in your application to meet all of the specific rotation requirements; your clinical inpatient preceptor must be an RD.
- For any preceptor having supervisory responsibility for the intern or verification of work completed, a Preceptor/Facility form must be submitted.
- At least one facility that is Joint Commission-accredited.
- Educational resources to support an intern must be available.
- Sufficient variety in the overall combination of facilities must be available to support the breadth and depth of experiences required by the ACEND Accreditation Standards. For any facility where the intern will have patient/client contact or decision-making responsibilities, a Preceptor/Facility form must be submitted.
Preference for admission will be given to:
- Applicants having previous work experience and / or experience in a healthcare setting.
- Applicants that have demonstrated leadership skills in past experiences.
- Graduates of the UNC Didactic Program in Dietetics.
Dietetic Internship Coordinator:
Nicole Withrow, PhD, RD