Biology News and Events
Seminars on various topics of biology are presented by invited speakers each week on Friday at 3:35 PM in Ross Hall room 1010.
Recent biology student research awards
- 2015 -- NHS College Research Awards: Logan Bauerle
- 2014 -- NHS College Research Awards: Desiree Arreola, Madeline Kunes
- 2013 -- Elyse Blazosky, Lindsay Cameron, Brittany Hartman, Michael Kelly, Ellie Wenger
- 2015 -- NHS College Research Awards: Jonna Jackson, Ann-Elizabeth Nash, Michelle Plewes
- 2014 -- Audubon Society of Greater Denver's Lois Webster Fund: Laura Heiker
- 2014 -- NHS College Research Awards: Ryan Fuller, Cassandra Modahl
- 2013 -- Explorers Club grant: Laura Heiker
- 2013 -- NHS College Research Awards: Lowrey Brown, Jonna Leyrer, Ann-Elizabeth Nash, Vera Pikalova
Recent biology student presentation awards
- 2015 -- Breanna Cullar and Rana Kennedy, First Place (Tie) Oral Presentations -- College of Natural and Health Sciences
- 2015 -- Madeline Metten, Second Place Poster Presentation -- School of Biological Sciences
- 2014 -- Amy Dunn, First Place poster, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
- 2014 -- Carissa King, Second Place poster, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
- 2013 -- Riane Teagarden and Jerica Lenberg, First Place poster presentation, Rocky Mountain Branch, American Society of Microbiologists spring meeting
- 2013 -- Elizabeth Maxey, First Place poster, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
- 2013 -- Anna Caudillo, Finalist, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
- Anthony Saviola, First Place, Research Excellence Award, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration, 2013
- Richard Carter, Finalist, Research Excellence Award, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration, 2013
- Nat Warning, Finalist, Research Excellence Award, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration, 2013
- Vera Pikalova, Second Place, Research Excellence Award, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration, 2014
Recent undergraduate academic scholarship awardees
In alphabetical order: Karen Allnutt, Stephanie Dormand, Kelsie Goc, Kelsey Gonzales, Kelli Johnson, Carissa King, Jennifer Mercadante, Ian Roberts, Riane Teagarden, Megan Wilkinson
From the Class of 2014
- Dr. Judy Leatherman, Graduate Faculty Research Mentor of the Year
- Dr. Rob Reinsvold, Excellence in Service
- Dr. Ginger Fisher, Excellence in Advising
- Dr. Robert Reinsvold received the Excellence in Science Education 2012 Award from the Colorado Association of Science Teachers.
- Rick Adams is the recipient of the UNC Winchester Distinguished Scholar Award for 2013, and he has been interviewed by numerous news organizations (Popular science, Denver 9 News, The Denver Post, The Boulder Daily Camera, The Daily Finance) for his thoughts on an emerging disease that is devastating bat populations in the U.S.
- Cindy Budde wins Support Staff of the Year award from the College of Natural and Health Sciences
Biology people in the news
- Dr. Scott Franklin and his research are featured in a recent UNC Bear Crossing Newsletter entitled: Professor of Burning Questions.
- Dr. Patrick Burns was recently featured in the Greeley Tribune newspaper because of his research into improving reproductive efficiency in cattle.
- Dr. Mackessy was recently interviewed by KDVR Fox News to highlight his research on snake venoms as potential therapies for cancer, and his research was also featured on the Discovery Channel and by the British Broadcasting Corporation.
- Dr. Judith Leatherman received a $300,000 grant from the National Institutes of Health
- Dr. Patrick Burns received a $150,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture