- Ph.D.: Kansas State University
- M.S.: Emporia State University
- B.S.: Newman University, Wichita, KS
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: (970) 351-2923
- Fax: (970) 351-2335
- Office: Ross Hall 1556
- Office hours: by appointment
- Personal Web Page: http://www.unco.edu/schountz/home.html
- BIO 351: Microbiology
- BIO 425: Molecular Genetics
- BIO 548 Virology
- BIO 549 Virology Lab
- BIO 594 Foundations of Biological Research
Research Interests and Professional Activities
My research focuses on understanding the immunological differences between humans and deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) infected with Sin Nombre virus (SNV). This virus causes hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome (HCPS) in humans, a disease that has a 36% fatality rate, while not causing any discernible pathology in deer mice. It has become evident that HCPS pathology occurs because of an aggressive inflammatory response mediated by cytokines; thus HCPS is considered an immunopathology. We are attempting to understand the immunological events that occur during Sin Nombre hantavirus infection of deer mice, and how the response is different compared to humans. Our objective is to identify potential therapeutic targets for clinical management of HCPS.
Academic Awards/Professional Honors
- NIH R15 (AREA) Grant, 2006-2009
- UNC New Grant Writer Recognition Award, 2006-2007
- NIH Emerging Viral Diseases Unit grant, 2005-2007
- Outstanding Scholar Award, 2005, Mesa State College
- Richens, T., A. D.~N. Palmer, J. Prescott and T. Schountz. 2008. Genomic organization and phylogenetic utility of deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) lymphotoxin-alpha and lymphotoxin-beta. BMC Immunol. 9:62.
- Calisher, C. H., K. V. Holmes, S. R. Dominguez, T. Schountz and P. Cryan. 2008. Bats prove to be rich reservoirs for emerging viruses. Microbe. 3:521.
- Schountz, T., J. Prescott, A. C. Cogswell, L. Oko, K. Mirowsky-Garcia, A. P. Galvez and B. Hjelle. 2007. Regulatory T cell-like responses in deer mice persistently-infected with Sin Nombre virus. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 104:15496.
- Schountz, T., C. H. Calisher, T. Richens, A. A. Rich, J. Doty, M. Hughes and B. J. Beaty. 2007. Rapid field immunoassay for detecting antibody to Sin Nombre virus in deer mice. Emerg Infect Dis. 13:1604.
- Oko, L. B. Aduddell-Swope, D. Willis, R. Hamor, T. A Coons, B. Hjelle and T. Schountz. Profiling Helper T Cell Subset Gene Expression in Deer Mice. BMC Immunol. 2006. 7:18.
- Calisher C. H., J. E. Childs, H. E. Field, K. V. Holmes, and T. Schountz. Bats: important reservoir hosts of emerging viruses. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2006. 19:531-45.
- K. E. Hentges, K. C. Weiser, T. Schountz, L. S. Woodward, H. C. Morse III, and M. J. Justice. 2005. Evi3, a zinc-finger protein related to EBFAZ, regulates EBF activity in B-cell leukemia. Oncogene. 24:1220.
- Davenport, B. J. J., D. G. Willis, J. Prescott, R. G. Farrell, T. A. Coons, and T. Schountz. 2004. Generation of competent bone marrow-derived antigen presenting cells from the deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus). BMC Immunol. 5:23.
- Richens, T., J. Prescott, R. A. Staudenmaier and T. Schountz. 2004. Isolation and cytokine gene expression of deer mouse peritoneal macrophages. BIOS. 75:103.
- Green, R. M., M. Herbst and T. Schountz. 2004. Genomic organization of deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) tumor necrosis factor. BIOS. 75:12.
- Schountz, T., R. M. Green, B. Davenport, A. Buniger, T. Richens, J. J. Root, F. Davidson, C. H. Calisher and B. J. Beaty. 2004. Cloning and characterization of deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) cytokine and chemokine cDNAs. BMC Immunol. 5:1.
- Vaughn, J., and T. Schountz. 2003. Discrimination of Peromyscus maniculatus leukocytes by flow cytometry. BIOS. 74:79.
- Root, J. J., W. C. Black IV, C. H. Calisher,K. R. Wilson, R. S. Mackie,T. Schountz, J. N. Mills, and B. J. Beaty. 2003. Analyses of gene flow among populations of deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) at sites near hantavirus pulmonary syndrome case-patient residences. J. Wildlife Dis. 39:287.
- Herbst, M., J. Prescott, A. D~N. Palmer, and T. Schountz. 2002. Sequence and expression analysis of deer mouse interferon- gamma, interleukin-10, tumor necrosis factor, and lymphotoxin-alpha. Cytokine. 17:203.