Dr. Catherine (Kitty) Gardiner, Professor
- Assistant Professor: Southern Illinois University
- Postdoc: Oregon State University
- Ph.D.: Oregon State University
- M.S.: Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
- B.S.: Michigan State University
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: (970) 351-1843
- Fax: (970) 351-2335
- Office: Ross Hall 2536
- Office hours: by appointment
- BIO 100 (Exploring Biology)
- BIO 110 (Principles of Biology)
- BIO 112 (Applications of Biology)
- BIO 220 (Genetics)
- BIO 320 (Introduction to Medical Genetics)
- BIO 325 (Introduction to Cancer Biology)
- BIO 425/525 (Molecular Genetics)
- BIO 450/550 (Cell Physiology)
- BIO 582 (Cancer Biology)
- BIO 555 (Reproductive and Developmental Biology)
- BIO 556 (Current Topics in Biomedical Research)
- BIO 521 (Advanced Genetics)
- BIO 694 (Foundations in Biological Research)
Research interests and professional activities
My research has three major directions: the effects of environmental toxicants on reproduction, the basic mechanisms and gene expression involved in differentiation of the preimplantation embryo and embryonic stem cells, and oxidative stress.
Grants, awards and professional honors
Recent grant awards
- 2007 -- National Science Foundation, STEP-Type I grant, "Strategies to Enhance Recruitment and Retention of Biology Majors at the University of Northern Colorado" ($749,670) -- PI.
- 2006 -- U.S. Department of Education, Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need grant, "GAANN -- Improving doctoral education in biology at UNC" ($380,016) -- PI.
- NSF research grants
- NIH research grants
- NRSA NIH-NIEHS postdoctoral fellowship
- College of Natural and Health Sciences Excellence in Academic Leadership Award
- College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Excellence Award
- College of Arts and Sciences Scholar Award
- Mortar Board Teaching Award
- Mortar Board Favorite Professor Award
Peer-reviewed publications (partial list)
- Casabar, RCT, PC Das, GK DeKrey, CS Gardiner, Y Cao, RL Rose, and AD Wallace. 2010. Endosulfan induces CYP2B6 and CYP3A4 by activating the pregnane X receptor. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 245 (3): 335-343.
- Hausburg, MA, GK DeKrey, JJ Salmen, MR Palic, CS Gardiner. 2005. Effects of paraquat on development of preimplantation embryos in vivo and in vitro. Reproductive Toxicology, 20: 239-246.
- Salmen, J, F Skufca, A Matt, G Gushansky, A Mason and CS Gardiner. 2005. Role of glutathione in reproductive tract secretions on mouse preimplantation embryo development. Biology of Reproduction, 73:308-314.
- Stover, S. K., A. Gushansky, J. J. Salmen, C. S. Gardiner. 2000. Regulation of g-glutamate-cystein ligase expression by oxidative stress in the mouse preimplantation embryo. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 168: 153-155.
- Laub, D. N., N. O. Elmagbari, N. M. Elmagbari, M. A. Hausberg, C. S. Gardiner. 2000. Effects of acetaminophen on preimplantation embryo glutathione concentration and development in vivo and in vitro. Toxicological Sciences 56: 150-155.
- Graham, J. R., L. J. Ray, S. K. Stover, J. J. Salmen, C. S. Gardiner. 1999. Effects of nutrient intake and number of oestrus cycles on in vitro development of preimplantation pig embryos. J. Reprod. Fertil. 117: 35-40.
- Gardiner, C. S., J. J. Salmen, C. Brandt, S. K. Stover. 1998. Glutathione is present in reproductive tract secretions and improves development of mouse embryos after chemically-induced glutathione depletion. Biol. Reprod. 59: 431-436.
- Gardiner, C.S. and D.J. Reed. 1995. Gluthathione redox cycle driven recovery of reduced gluthathione after oxidation by tertiary-butyl hydroperoxide in preimplantation mouse embryos. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 321: 6-12.
- Gardiner, C.S. and D.J. Reed. 1995. Synthesis of gluthathione in the preimplantation mouse embryo. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 318: 30-36
- Gardiner, C.S. and D.J. Reed. 1994. Status of gluthathione during oxidant-induced oxidative stress in the preimplantation mouse embryo. Biol. Reprod. 51: 1307-1314.
- Tang, K., A. Bartke, C.S. Gardiner, T.E. Wagner and J.S. Yun. 1994. Testosterone feedback on gonadotropin secretion and gene expression in transgenic mice expressing human growth hormone gene. J. Andrology 15: 9-14.
- Tang, K.,A. Bartke, C.S. Gardiner, T.E. Wagner and J.S. Yun. 1993. Gonadotropin secretion, synthesis and gene expression in two types of bovine-growth hormone transgenic mice. Biol. Reprod. 49: 346-353.
- Tang,K., A. Bartke, C.S. Gardiner, T.E. Wagner and J.S. Yun. 1993. Gonadotropin secretion, synthesis and gene expression in human-growth hormone transgenic mice and in Ames dwarf mice. Endocrinology 132: 2518-2524.
- Heuer, J.A., S.S. King, C.S. Gardiner, G. Ferreira-Kias, L.G. Nequin. 1993. Uterine secretions from different endometrial classifications affect the viability of early murine embryos cultured in vitro. J. Equine Vet. Sci. 13: 494-497.
- Gardiner, C.S., M.A. Grobner and A.R. Menino, Jr. 1990. Na/K ATPase a subunit and a subunit mRNA levels in early rabbit embryos. Biol. Reprod. 42:539-544.
- Gardiner, C.S., J.S. Williams and A.R. Menino, Jr. 1990. Changes in Na/K ATPase a subunit and a subunit mRNA levels during preimplantation mouse embryo development. Biol. Reprod. 43: 788-794.
- Menino, Jr., A.R., A.R. Dyk, C.S. Gardiner, M.A. Grobner, M.A. Kaaekuahiwi and J.S. Williams. 1989. The effects of plasminogen on in vitro ovine embryo development. Biol. Reprod. 41: 899-905.
- Menino, Jr., A.R., J.S. Williams and C.S. Gardiner. 1989. Development of mouse embryos in media containing lectins. Theriogenology 31: 821-834.
- Menino, Jr., A.R., J.S. Williams, C.S. Gardiner and T.L. John. 1989. Mouse embryo development in media containing growth factors. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 18: 125-137.
- Gardiner, C.S., A.R. Menino, Jr., A.E. Archibong, J.S. Williams, F. Stormshak and D.C. England. 1988. Suppressed development of cultured mouse and swine embryos by diethylstilbestrol. J. Anim. Sci. 66: 2401-2406