Sue Ellen DeChenne, Assistant Professor
- Research Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska – Lincoln (2012-2013)
- Lecturer, University of Nebraska – Lincoln (2012-2013)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Nebraska – Lincoln (2010-2012)
- Ph.D.: Science Education, Oregon State University, 2010
- M.S.: Genetics and Cell Biology, Washington State University, 1992
- B.S.: Microbiology, Washington State University, 1988
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (970) 351-2004
- Fax: (970) 351-2335
- Office: Ross Hall 2570
- Office hours: by appointment
- BIO 442/542, Molecular and Cellular Laboratory
- BIO 351, Microbiology
My research interests center around biology education. I am interested in factors which are important in retaining students in the biology major, especially during their first year at the university. I am interested in the development of graduate students and post-doc as instructors. I also study how to teach biology students scientific skills such as: the ability to develop a research question, design an experiment, develop and critique a scientific argument, and draw conclusions. Finally, I am interested in how discipline-based educational researchers (DBER) and science faculty view the relationship between DBER and science instruction.
External grant awards
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln Kelley Fund. $25,000. Black, P., DeChenne, S.E., and Lewis, E. Development of Biochemistry Undergraduate Students' Writing and Graduate Students' Teaching Skills, (2013-2015)
- Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education.$79,000. Lee, S.C, DeChenne, S.E., and Kunz, G, Coaching for Sustainability: Peer Coaching Science Inquiry in Rural Schools, (2013-2104)
- Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education. $79,568. DeChenne, S.E., Rilett, L., and Kunz, G., Coaching Science Inquiry for Middle and High School Teachers, (2011-2012)
- Finalist, Doctoral Dissertation Award, National Association for Research in Science Teaching, 2011 Oregon Lottery Scholarship, 2008
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 2005 & 2006
- 1st Place, Graduate Division, Sigma Xi Research Competition, Washington State University, 1991
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1988
- DeChenne, S. E., Enochs, L., & Needham, M. (2012). Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Graduate Teaching Assistants Teaching Self-Efficacy. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learnin, 12(4), 102-123.
- DeChenne, S. E., Anderson, S. M., Lesseig, K. R., Li, S. L., Staus, N. L., Barthel, C. (2012). Towards a Measure of Graduate Student Teaching Professional Development. Journal of Effective Teaching, 12(1), 4-19.
- Kang, N.K., DeChenne, S.E., & Smith, G. (2012). Inquiry learning of high school students through a problem-based environmental health science curriculum. School Science and Mathematics, 112(3), 171-178. Published under former name: Chantler, S.E.
- Brown, W.C., McElwain, T.F., Palmer, G.H., Chantler, S.E., Estes, D.M. (1999). Bovine CD4(+) T-lymphocyte clones specific for rhoptry-associated protein 1 of Babesia bigemina stimulate enhanced immunoglobulin G1 (IgG1) and IgG2 synthesis. Infection and Immunity, 67(1), 155-64.
- Brown, W.C., Estes, D.M., Chantler, S.E., Degerreis, K.A., Suarez, C.E. (1998). DNA and a CpG oligonucleotide derived from Babesia bovis are mitogenic for bovine B cells. Infection and Immunity, 66(11), 5423-32.
- Laughlin, M.J., Chantler, S.E., Okita, T.W.(1998). N- and C-terminal peptide sequences are essential for enzyme assembly, allosteric, and/or catalytic properties of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase. The Plant Journal, 14(2), 159-68.
- Greene, T.W., Chantler, S.E., Kahn, M.L., Barry, G.F., Preiss, J., Okita, T.W. (1996). Mutagenesis of the potato tuber ADP glucose pyrophosphorylase and characterization of an allosteric mutant defective in 3-phosphoglycerate activation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 93(4), 1509-1513.
- DeChenne, S.E., Carew, J., & Stains, M. (2013, July). Published Laboratories as Indicators of Awareness and Adoption of DBER-Based Instructional Practices. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research, Minneapolis, MN.
- DeChenne, S.E., & Stains, M. (2013, July). Relationships between DBER and Science Instruction as Perceived by Producers and Consumers of DBER. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research, Minneapolis, MN.
- Kunz, G., Nugent, G., Pedersen, J., DeChenne, S.E., & Houston, J. (2013, April). Meeting rural science teachers' needs: Professional development with on-going technology-delivered instructional coaching. Roundtable presented at the annual meeting of American Educational Research Associated, San Francisco, CA.
- DeChenne, S.E., Nugent, G., Kunz, G.M., Luo, L., Berry, B., Craven, K. (2012, April). A Case Study of Coaching in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Professional Development. Roundtable presented at the annual meeting of American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, BC.
- DeChenne, S.E. (2012, April). Towards Development of a Model of Graduate Teaching Assistant Teaching Effectiveness. Roundtable presented at the annual meeting of American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, BC.
- Flick, L., Wolfe, T., & DeChenne, S.E. (2012, January). STEM integration: Critical perspectives from teachers and from examples of teaching practice. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association of Science Teacher Education, Clearwater, FL