School of Biological Sciences
Natural and Health Sciences
Ross Hall, Room 1540
501 20th Street, Greeley, CO 80639
- Ph.D.: University of Colorado - Boulder
- M.A.: University of Colorado - Boulder
- B.A.: University of Colorado - Boulder
This is the content region for Professional/Academic Experience.
Research/Areas of Interest
My research seeks to integrate the fields of bat ecology, evolution and development
(i.e. how ecolgical patterns of bats are constructed from evolutionary history and
contemporary ontogeny). Current research involves the relationship of water resources
to behavioral, populational and community ecology of bats in Coloradan, Botswana,
South African and China. In addition, I study ontogeny in bats based upon investigations
of skeletal development in juveniles as well as changes in functional ontogeny as
they learn to fly as a surrogate for deciphering the evolution of flight in bats.
Peer-reviewed research publications
- Adams, RA and R Lambeth. 2015. First physical record of the lappet-browed bat (Idionycteris phyllotis) in Colorado. The Southwestern Naturalist. In press.
- Adams, RA, FJ Bonaccorso, and JR Winkelmann. 2015. Revised distribution for Otomops martiensseni(Chiroptera: Molossidae) in southern Africa. In press.
- Carter, RT and RA Adams. 2015. Postnatal ontogeny of the cochlea and flight ability in
Jamaican fruit bats (Phyllostomidae) with implications for the evolution of echolocation.
Journal of Anatomy. 3:707-714.
- RA Adams and ER Snode. 2015. Differences in the male mating calls of co-occurring epauletted fruit bat species
(Chiroptera: Pteropodidae: Epomophorus walhbergi and E. crypturus) in Kruger National Park South Africa. Zoological Studies, 54:15-21.
- Carter, RA and RA Adams. 2014. Ontogeny of the larynx and flight ability in Jamaican fruit bats (Phyllostomidae)
with considerations for the evolution of echolocation. The Anatomical Record, 297:1270-1277.
- Carter, RT, J. Shaw, and RA Adams. 2014. Ontogeny of vocalization in Jamaican fruit bats with implications for the evolution
of echolocation. Journal of Zoology, London, 293:25-32.
- Adams, RA and EM Snode. 2013. Unique insights into dispersion distances among calling males of Wahlberg’s epauletted
fruit bat in Kruger National Park, South Africa. Open Ecology Journal, 6: 54-60.
- Adams, R.A., and S.C. Pedersen, eds. 2000 Ontogeny, Functional Ecology, and Evolution ofBats. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 398 pp.
- Adams, R.A. 2003. Bats of the Rocky Mountain West: Natural History, Ecology, and
Conservation. University Press of Colorado, Boulder, 308 pp.
- Adams, R. A. and S. C. Pedersen, eds. 2013. Bat Evolution, Ecology, and Conservation. Springer Press, New York
- Adams, R. A., ed. 2013. Into the Night. University Press of Colorado, Boulder.
Recent Book Chapters
- Korine, C, RA Adams, D Russo, and D Jacobs. 2015. The association between bats and water they use: implications for species distribution,
ecology, and management. Pp. in Bats in the Anthropocene: conservation of bats in a changing world, (Christian Voigt and Tigga Kingston, eds.). Springer Press, New York. In press.
- Adams, R. A. and J. Shaw. 2013. Time's arrow in the Evolutionary Development of Bat Flight. Pp.
21-46 inBat Evolution, Ecology and Conservation (R. A. Adams and S. C. Pedersen, eds). Springer, New York.
- Adams, R. A. 2013. Chasing nightly marvels in the Rocky Mountains. Pp. 71-87 in Into the Night (R. A. Adams, ed). University Press of Colorado, Boulder.
- Pedersen, S. C., G. G. Kwiecinski, P. A. Larsen, M. N. Morton, R. A. Adams, H. G. Genoways and V. J. Swier. 2010 Bats of Montserrat - population fluctuations
in response to hurricanes and volcanoes: 1978-2005 pp. in Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation of Island Bats (T. H. Fleming and P. Racey, eds.) University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Kunz, T. H. R. A. Adams, and W. R. Hood. 2009. Methods for Assessing Size and Birth and Postnatal Growth
and Development in Bats, in Ecological and Behavioral Methods in the Study of Bats, 2nd Edition. (T. H. Kunz and S. Parsons, eds.). Johns Hopkins University Press,
- Adams, R. A. 2009. Techniques for the study of growth and development in the Chiroptera, in Ecological and Behavioral Methods in the Study of Bats, 2nd Edition. (T. H. Kunz and S. Parsons, eds.). Johns Hopkins University Press,