Deanna Meinke, PhD, CCC-A
Professor and Co-director of Dangerous Decibels
Office: Gunter 1500
Her favorite sound is the call of sandhill cranes at dawn.
- PhD, Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences, University of Colorado-Boulder
- MA, Audiology, University of Northern Illinois
- BS, Communication Disorders, Colorado State University
Professional Certification & Licensure
- American Board of Audiology Certification
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Certificate of Clinical Competence-Audiology
- Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies; Audiologist Licensure
- Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation Course Director
- ASLS 220: Musical Acoustics and Health
- ASLS 267: Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech & Hearing Mechanism
- ASLS 617: Research in Audiology and Speech-Language Sciences
- ASLS 715: Research in Audiology and Speech-Language Sciences
- ASLS 741: Hearing Loss Prevention
- ASLS 743: Medical Aspects of Audiology
- ASLS 751: Otopharmacology
- ASLS 774: Professional Issues in Audiology
My research is focused on the prevention and early detection of noise-induced hearing loss in children and adults. Current research involves field studies implementing a high-attenuation wireless headset for hearing testing outside of a sound-booth, hearing protection performance in youth and adults, and damage-risk estimates for impulse noise produced by recreational firearms. Grant funding has been received from the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, National Institutes of Health (NIDCD) and the Office of Naval Research.
As Co-director of the Dangerous Decibels™ (with Dr. William Hal Martin from the National University of Singapore), I am responsible for the planning, delivery and coordination of the Dangerous Decibels Educator Workshops in the U.S. and internationally. www.dangerousdecibels.org
As Chairperson of the Safe-in-Sound Excellence in Hearing Loss Prevention Award expert committee, I partner with Dr. Thais Morata at the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health and the National Hearing Conservation Association to solicit, review and coordinate annual awards for excellence and innovation in hearing loss prevention. www.safeinsound.us
Recent Academic Awards and Professional Honors
- 2015: Gallaudet University Graduate School's Outstanding External Collaboration Award
- 2014: Gasaway Lecturer: National Hearing Conservation Association
- 2013: Safe-in-Sound Innovation in Hearing Loss Prevention Award presented to Dangerous Decibels team
- 2012: Outstanding Achievements in Sponsored Programs Award: UNC Office of Sponsored Programs
- 2012: Outstanding Poster Award presented by the National Hearing Conservation Association
- 2011: Excellence in Scholarship Award: UNC College of Natural and Health Sciences
- 2011: Favorite Professor Award: UNC Mortar Board
- 2010: Natalie Stukas Hearing Conservation Award presented by the Illinois Academy of Audiology
- 2010: Michael Beall Threadgill Award presented by the National Hearing Conservation Association
- Roeser, Ross J. (2013) Roeser’s Audiology Desk Reference. Clark, J.L,, Meinke, D., Swanepoel, D., Wright, G.G. (Editorial Consultants), Thieme. New York, Stuttgart.
- Meinke, D.K. (2011) “Jack: Noise induced hearing loss: A work-related investigation”. In Chabon, S. and Cohn, E. (Eds.), The Communication Disorders Casebook Learning by Example. Pearson. Boston, Massachusetts. Pp 464-476.
- Meinke, D.K. and Stephenson, M., (2007) “Noise-induced hearing loss: models for prevention”. In Ackley, S; Decker, T.N. and Limb, C. (Eds.), An Essential Guide to Hearing and Balance Disorders. Taylor & Francis Group. Boca Raton, Florida. pp 287-323.
- Martin, W.H., Meinke, D., Howarth, L. and Sobel, J. Dangerous Decibels® Educator Training Manual. ©2007, Oregon Health & Science University.
- Lankford, J.E. and Meinke, D.K., (2006) “Acoustic injuries in agriculture”. In Lessenger, J.E. (Ed.), Agricultural Medicine. Springer Publishing Company, New York. pp 484-491.
- Stewart, M., Meinke, D.K., Snyders, J.S. and Howerton, K. (2014) Shooting habits of youth recreational firearm users. International Journal of Audiology Vol. 53: pp S26-S34. PubMed PMID: 24564690.
- Meinke, D.K., Murphy, W.J., Finan, D.S., Lankford, J.E., Flamme, G.A., Stewart, M., Soendergaard, J., Jerome, T.W. (2014). Auditory risk estimates for youth target shooting. International Journal of Audiology Vol. 53: pp S16-S25. PubMed PMID: 24564688.
- Meinke, D.K., Morata, T. and Hayden, C. (2013) Noise control strategies: Lessons from Safe-in-Sound Excellence in Hearing Loss Prevention Awards™. Institute of Noise Control Engineering. Proceedings of Noise-Con 2013. nc13_194. Denver, CO.
- Meinke, D.K. (2013) The science of health communication: prevention and treatment of communication disorders. Available from http://www.continuingeducation.com/course/aaql0004/the-science-of-health-communication-/ . Gannet Healthcare Group.
- Meinke, D.K., Clavier, O.H., Norris, J., Kline-Schoder, R., Buckey, J. (2013) Distortion product otoacoustic emission level maps from normal and noise-damaged cochleae. Noise and Health Vol. 15: pp 315-325 PubMed PMID: 23955128.
- Meinke, D., Finan, D., Soendergaard, J., Flamme, G., Murphy, W., Lankford, J. and Stewart, M. (2013) Impulse noise generated by starter pistols. International Journal of Audiology Vol. 52: pp S9-19 PubMed PMID: 23373743.
- Byrne, D.C., Themann, C.L., Meinke, D.K., Morata, T.C., Stephenson, M.R. (2012) Promoting hearing loss prevention in audiology practice. ASHA Perspectives: Perspectives on Public Health Issues Related to Hearing and Balance. Vol. 13, pp 3-19. DOI:10.1044/hcoa13.1.3.
- Meinke, D. and Morata, T. (2012) Awarding and promoting excellence in hearing loss prevention. International Journal of Audiology Vol. 51, pp S63-S70. PubMed PMID: 22147782.
- Murphy, W.J., Flamme, G.A., Meinke, D.K., Sondergaard, J., Finan, D.S., Lankford, J.E., Khan, A. and Stewart, M. (2011) Measurement of impulse peak insertion loss for four hearing protection devices. International Journal of Audiology Vol. 51, pp S31-S42. PubMed PMID: 22176308.
- Meinke, D. (2011), School-based hearing screening won’t prevent noise-induced hearing loss. Invited Editorial. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. Vol. 165 (12), pp 1135-1136. PubMed PMID: 22147782.
- Wakefield, E. and Meinke, D.K. (2011) Communication strategies between occupational hearing conservationists and Spanish-speaking workers. ASHA Perspectives: Communication Disorders and Sciences in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations. Vol. 18(3) pp. 63-70. DOI: doi:10.1044/cds18.3.63.
- Jadid, K., Klein, U. and Meinke, D. (2011) Assessment of noise exposure in a pediatric dentistry residency clinic. Pediatric Dentistry. Vol. 33(4). pp 343-348. PubMed PMID: 21903003.
- Meinke, D. and Morata, T. (2011) Foreword. International Journal of Audiology Supplement 50, pp S1-S2. DOI: 10.3109/14992027.2011.637080.
- Flamme, G., Stewart, M., Meinke, D., Lankford, J. and Rasmussen, P. (2011) Auditory risk to unprotected bystanders exposed to firearm noise. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. Vol. 22. pp 93-103. doi: 10.3766/jaaa.22.2.4. PubMed PMID: 21463564.
- Meinke, D.K. (2009) Preface. Noise and Health Vol. 11(42), p 1. DOI: 10.4103/1463-1741.45305.
- Bell-Lehmkuler, B., Meinke, D.K., Sedey, A. and Tuell, C. (2009) “Reliability of audiometric thresholds obtained with insert earphones when used by certified audiometric technicians”. Noise and Health Vol. 11(42), pp 59-68. PubMed PMID: 19265255.
- Meinke, D.K., Meade, S., Johnson, C.D., Jensema, J. (2008) “Occupational model of mobile audiometric testing for high school students”. Seminars in Hearing, Noise-induced Hearing Loss in Children, Vol. 29, (1) pp 49-58. DOI: 10.1055/s-2007-1021772.
- Johnson, C.D. and Meinke, D.K. (2008) “Noise-induced hearing loss: Implications for schools”. Seminars in Hearing, Noise-induced Hearing Loss in Children. Vol. 29, (1) pp 59-66. DOI: 10.1055/s-2007-1021773.
- Meinke, D.K. and Dice*, N. (2007) “Comparison of audiometric screening criteria for the identification of noise-induced hearing loss in adolescents”. American Journal of Audiology Vol.16 S190-S202, pp S191-S202. PubMed PMID: 18056872.
- Meinke, D.K., (2005) “Detailed DPOAE level/phase maps in normal and noise-damaged human ears”. (Doctoral dissertation, University of Colorado – Boulder). 224 pages. UMI AAT 3190388.
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association (2005) Guidelines for manual pure-tone threshold audiometry. [Guidelines]. Available from www.asha.org/policy. Rockville, MD: pp 1-12. DOI: 10.1044/policy.GL2005-00014.
- Meinke, D.K., Stagner, B.B., Martin, G.K. and Lonsbury-Martin, B.L. (2005) Human efferent adaptation of DPOAEs in the L1,L2 space” Hearing Research, 208, pp 89-100. PubMed PMID: 16019174.
- American Academy of Audiology (2003) Preventing noise-induced occupational hearing loss. Reston, VA. Available from http://www.audiology.org/professional/positions/niohlprevention.pdf. Retrieved 5-18-2006.
- Lankford, J.E., Meinke, D.K., and Hotopp, M., (1999) Need for hearing loss prevention for agricultural aerial application service personnel. Journal of Agromedicine, 6, #2, pp 25-39. DOI: 10.1300/J096v06n02_03.