The Faculty Research and Publications Board, College Deans and Office of Sponsored Programs will recognize faculty achievement in research and other academic pursuits at the Distinguished Scholar Luncheon on Monday, April 7. RSVPs for the luncheon were due March 27.
Nine faculty will be presented with awards.
Steven Anderson, professor of Earth Science and director of the Mast Institute, will receive the 2014 A.M. and Jo Winchester Distinguished Scholar award - given annual to a faculty member who's consistently demonstrated outstanding scholarly performance.
Awards for college scholars will be presented to:
- Rashida Banerjee, associate professor of Special Education; College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
- Steven Seegel, associate professor of History; College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Michael Martin, associate professor of Business Law; Monfort College of Business
- Anton Dzhamay, associate professor of Mathematics; College of Natural and Health Sciences
- Caleb Harris, associate professor of Music; College of Performing and Visual Arts
- Andrea Falcone, assistant professor of University Libraries; University College
In addition, Elizabeth Franklin, professor of Hispanic Studies, will receive the Outstanding Achievement in Sponsored Programs Award, and David Hydock, assistant professor of Sport and Exercise Science, will receive the Sponsored Programs New Faculty Recognition Award.
Read honorees' profiles at http://www.unco.edu/osp/news/2014scholars.pdf.
The highlights of the many activities promoting academic excellence and recognizing student, faculty and staff scholastic achievements during the celebration include:
- Research Day: Nearly 300 undergraduate and graduate students from nearly every academic field at UNC will share information about their research projects during 200 presentations from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday, April 10 throughout the University Center's second floor. Top research projects will be selected for recognition. List of presenters.
- College- and School-Hosted Events: A variety of UNC's colleges, schools and programs will honor faculty and student academic achievement with convocations, banquets and other events during the week.
For a complete schedule of activities or additional information about UNC's celebration of academic excellence, visit the Academic Excellence Week website at www.unco.edu/aew or contact the Center for Honors, Scholars and Leadership at 970-351-2940.
Academic Excellence Week is coordinated and sponsored by the Office of Undergraduate Research; the Center for Honors, Scholars and Leadership; and the Graduate Student Association along with academic departments and programs across campus.