The University of Northern Colorado will host a daylong event Jan. 24 to provide information on campus, community, state and federal resources available for students who are military veterans or military connected such as dependents.
Students are invited to drop in on the sessions, led by experts who can answer questions about housing, healthcare, veterans benefit claims, certification for tuition and fees, counseling, and academic support.
The event will be held at UNC's Office of Veterans Services at Roudebush Cottage, west of the intersection of 8th Avenue and 18th Street. Breakfast, 7-9 a.m., and lunch, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. will be provided. Drawings for prizes will be held throughout the day.
The schedule, with names and/or organizations on hand to discuss the corresponding topics, is below:
- 8-10 a.m. - Deb Thompson and Valerie Nielsen, campus housing specialists, on- campus housing alternatives and options
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. - Cheyenne VA Mobile Medical Center, healthcare services and information for veterans
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. - Tim Marquart, Weld County Department of Human Services, assistance with job searches and veteran training programs
- 10-11 a.m. - Quill Phillips, UNC Career Services, resume building workshop
- 10-11 a.m. - Alexa Williams, Monfort Business College, strong interest inventory career assessment
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. - Speak with Representatives from the offices of Sen. Mark Udall, Sen. Michael Bennet and U.S. Rep. Cory Gardner
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. - Kathleen Dunemn, UNC associate professor of Nursing and Colorado Board of Veterans Affairs member
- Noon-5 p.m. - David Fry, Greeley Vet Center, register for Veterans Benefit Claims
- Noon-5 p.m. Diane Levas-Luckman, UNC's Psychology Services Clinic offering low-cost counseling and psychological assessment for students and families
- 1-3 p.m. - Michele Kane, Fort Collins Vet Center, individual and group readjustment counseling; Mobile Vet Center
- 1-5 p.m. - Betsy Sullivan, Volunteers of America, information on housing for low-income veterans
- 2-4 p.m. - Kimberly Fenner, UNC Academic Support and Advising, academic advising, tutoring, study skills, academic probation policy, and time management
- 2-5 p.m. - Marissa Boston, UNC VA Certifying Official, available for questions regarding certification, tuition and fees
A PDF of the schedule is available to download here.