University of Northern Colorado President Kay Norton delivered her annual State of the University address Tuesday, Sept. 25, to a capacity crowd in the University Center ballrooms.
Norton shared 10 things she's learned as "a UNC student" since becoming president 10 years ago. She elaborated on that list of 10 items during the speech:
- The human factor is essential.
- Leadership is a shared responsibility.
- Freedom to be creative requires freedom to fail.
- What invigorates some people terrifies others.
- Crisis doesn't produce lasting change.
- The funding model for public higher education is irretrievably broken.
- A university should not be run just like a business.
- Bigger isn't always better.
- Perspective matters.
- You have to be honest with yourself
A video of the speech is available at http://www.unco.edu/video/index.asp?cat=universityEvents&id=93&tab=3 and a transcript in PDF format is available at http://www.unco.edu/pres/pdf/2012_SOU.pdf