University of Northern Colorado Provost Robbyn Wacker has announced the recipients of the school's 2012 Academic Excellence Awards, which recognize excellence by faculty and programs in teaching, student advising, performance assessment, scholarship, service and leadership. The recipients are:
- Teaching Excellence in Undergraduate Education: Charlotte Mills, Music
- Teaching Excellence in Graduate Education: Melissa Henry,Nursing
- Excellence in Faculty Service: Mark Smith, Sport and Exercise Science
- Excellence in Faculty Advisement: Robert Heiny, Mathematical Sciences
- School/Department Excellence in Service: School of Special Education
- School/Department Excellence in Scholarship: Department of History
- Excellence through Performance Assessment (two awards given): Mathematical Sciences in College of Natural and Health Sciences; Cesar Chavez Cultural Center
- Academic Leadership Excellence: Vergie Amendola, Music
Criteria for the awards include a thorough knowledge of the academic or professional field, ability to communicate that knowledge in an effective and organized manner, ability to create a positive learning environment, demonstration of respect and concern for students, ability to inspire enthusiasm for learning and high expectations for students' performance.
The recipients will be honored at the annual Academic Excellence Awards Reception April 24.