Connie Willis was in familiar territory when Blackout and All Clear earned a prestigious award.
Alumna Connie Willis had to make more room on her mantle earlier this week after earning her seventh Nebula Award for science-fiction writing. Described by The Denver Post as “one of America's finest writers,” Willis may have more hardware to add later this summer for her two-volume set Blackout and All Clear.
The time-travel thriller, which captures the heroism of ordinary people during World War II, is also nominated for a Hugo Award, which will be announced at a ceremony Aug. 20 in Reno, Nev.
If you're looking for summer reading, look no farther than this retrospective on Willis' titles that have received honors from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (Nebula Awards) and the World Science Fiction Society (Hugo Awards).
- 2011 – Best Novel: Blackout / All Clear
- 1992 – Best Novel: Doomsday Book; Best Short Story: “Even the Queen”
- 1989 - Best Novelette: At the Rialto
- 1988 – Best Novella: The Last of the Winnebagos
- 1982 – Best Novelette: Fire Watch; Short Story: “A Letter from the Clearys”
- Also nominated for: Passage (Novel, 2001), Just Like the Ones We Used to Know (Novella, 2004), To Say Nothing of the Dog (Novel, 1998), Bellwether (Novel, 1997), Death on the Nile (Novelette, 1993), Jack (Novella, 1991), Swartzchild Radius (Novelette, 1987),The Sidon in the Mirror (Novelette, 1983)
- Source: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
- 2008 – Best Novella: All Seated on the Ground
- 2006 – Best Novella: Inside Job
- 2000 – Best Novella: The Winds of Marble Arch
- 1999 – Best Novel: To Say Nothing of the Dog
- 1997 – Best Short Story: The Soul Selects Her Own Society
- 1994 – Best Short Story: Death on the Nile
- 1993 – Best Novel: Doomsday Book; Best Short Story: “Even the Queen”
- 1989 – Best Novella: The Last of the Winnebagos
- 1983 – Best Novelette: Fire Watch
- Also nominated for — Blackout / All Clear (award to be announced July 31), Just Like the Ones We Used to Know (Novella, 2004), Passage (Novel, 2002), Remake (Novel, 1996), Jack (Novella, 1992), Miracle (Novelette, 1992), “In the Late Cretaceous” (Short Story, 1992), “Cibola” (Short Story, 1991), Time Out (Novella, 1990), At the Rialto (Novelette, 1990), Spice Pogrom (Novella, 1987), Blued Moon (Novelette, 1985), The Sidon in the Mirror (Novelette, 1984), “Daisy, in the Sun” (Short Story, 1980)
- Source: World Science Fiction Society
Sample her latest award-winning work