Abe Harraf, UNC provost and senior vice president, has announced the recipients of this year's Academic Excellence Awards.
Criteria for the awards include a thorough knowledge of the academic or professional field, ability to communicate that knowledge in an effective and organized manner, ability to create a positive learning environment, demonstration of respect and concern for students, ability to inspire enthusiasm for learning and high expectations for students' performance.
This year's winners are:
- Teaching Excellence in Undergraduate Education (two awards): Michelle Low, Modern Language and Cultural Studies; Nathaniel Miller, Mathematical Sciences
- Teaching Excellence in Graduate Education: Dianna Gray, Sport and Exercise Science
- Excellence in Faculty Service: Hortensia Soto-Johnson, Mathematical Sciences
- Excellence in Faculty Advisement: Richard Hyslop, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- School/Program Excellence in Teaching: School of Music
- School/Program Excellence in Scholarship (two awards): School of Psychological Sciences, College of Education and Behavioral Science; Hispanic Studies, School of Modern Language and Cultural Studies
- Excellence Through Performance Assessment: Academic Support and Advising, University College
- Academic Leadership Excellence: Joy Landeira, Modern Language and Cultural Studies
Recipients will be recognized at the Celebration of Academic Excellence Reception 2:30-4 p.m. Wednesday, April 7, in the University Center Columbine suite. The celebration is part of Academic Excellence Week, April 5-10. For a complete list of events, visit http://www.unco.edu/aew.html.
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/uncomedia