Incoming First-Year Students
Fall semester of Senior year of high school:
- Review UNC admissions requirements and deadlines at the beginning of your senior year of high school.
- Review UNC The Bottom Line Worksheet to calculate the costs of attending UNC.
- Look through the UNC Financial Aid and Scholarship guide.
- Begin researching outside scholarships including, tribal and national organizations. For a list, click here.
- Determine which scholarships have a Winter and Spring Deadlines and mark these dates on your calendar, and review them regularly.
- Identify teachers, counselors, principals, or other people to write letters of recommendations,
- Ask if they can write a letter of recommendation at least one month before scholarship deadline, and explain why you are asking them to write the letter.
- Include all necessary information, including the link where they need to upload the letter or an addressed, stamped envelope.
- Begin drafting and writing personal essays.
- Follow up with teachers, counselors, or other people you have identified to write letters of recommendations, a few weeks before the deadline.
- Ask your high school counselor for advice about UNC and the outside scholarships that you have identified.
- Start to save money for expenses such as moving, gas, food, and books.
- Contact the Admissions Office and NASS to arrange a time to visit campus and talk with current UNC students.
Spring Semester of Senior Year
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Priority deadline is February 1st.
- Fill out and send in your application materials including, your SAT/ACT test scores and high school transcripts to UNC and outside scholarship organizations with Spring deadlines.
- Contact the Admissions Office and Financial Aid Office to make sure that they have received all of the materials you need.
- Review the costs for moving, gas, food, and books to make sure you have budgeted enough money for your expenses.
Summer after Graduation
- Apply for Housing and Dining plans, check out the housing and dining viewbook for more information.
- Consider enrolling in First Year student seminar, University 101.
- Reserve your New Student Orientation Date.
- Are you a first-generation college student? Consider participating in the Center for Human Enrichment.
- Review the UNC Check List.
- Contact NASS for any further advice and guidance.
- All financial aid refunds need to be used toward books, school supplies, housing, food, health insurance, and emergencies only. Budget wisely. Spend money on clothes, music, car purchases, or loans to family, if you have already covered all of your educational expenses for the entire semester. Save some money to cover some expenses during the Summer, as well.