UNC Menu
  • Summon
  • Journal Titles
  • Books & More
  • Reserves

Interlibrary Loan

The University Libraries uses Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to provide materials unavailable at UNC by borrowing from other libraries. There is no charge to UNC faculty, staff, or students for Interlibrary Loan services.

Interlibrary Loan Requests

The UNC Libraries uses the ILLiad system for managing Interlibrary Loan materials. To request items from another library, submit an ILLiad request. You will need to log in using your UNC username and password.

Interlibrary Loan Item Types


Try a search for your book in Prospector first. If the book is not available in Prospector, submit an ILLiad request. You will receive an email when the book is available to pick up from the Access Services Desk.


Submit an ILLiad request. You will receive the article electronically via email.

DVDs and CDs

Try a search for your item in Prospector first. Popular videos, DVDs, and CDs are often difficult to get through Interlibrary Loan.

Dissertations and Theses

Submit an ILLiad request. Many libraries send only microform copies or do not lend dissertations. If a dissertation is not available on loan it can often be obtained from UMI for a fee.


Depending on location and availability, it can take from 5 days to 3 weeks to obtain requested material.

You will be notified by e-mail when an item arrives.

Loan Periods

The loan period for books is determined by the lending library and is usually at least 1 week. The due date is written on the colored band attached to the item.

Overdue ILL items cost 50¢ per day. Items overdue by 28 days or more are considered lost and a replacement fee of $100 is charged.

Distance Students

If you reside 50 miles or more from campus, see the Services for Distance/Off Campus Students page for more information on requesting materials.

Other Libraries

Other libraries wishing to borrow materials, please see Interlibrary Loan Information for Other Libraries.

More Information

Contact the Access Services Department at (970) 351-2671 for more information.