UNC Buildings and Grounds
- Years: 1890-1910
Normal School Building cornerstone laid June 13 (1890-1972). After 1906, the building was known as Administration Building. Renamed Cranford Hall in 1931. Razed in 1972.
Normal School Building east wing completed April 13.
Normal School Building center completed.
Training School library established.
First heating plant completed. Razed in 1933.
Pillars at 9th Avenue and 17th Street class gift of 1902.
Normal School Building west wing completed November 11.
Gymnasium in basement of west wing of Normal School Building.
First presidential home completed. Became Music Conservatory in 1924. Razed in 1954.
First library completed. Renamed Carter Hall in 1944.
Greenhouse built. Razed in 1936.
Stables built south of Library.
Training School cornerstone laid August 22.
Guggenheim Hall cornerstone laid September 24.
Gateway at 10th Avenue and 18th Street gift of class of 1910.
Cranford and the Library had telephones installed.
- Years: 1911-1930
Cranford updated with first indoor toilet.
Formal reflecting pool north of Library gift of the class of 1911.
Training School center section of building completed.
Gateway at 8th Avenue and 17th Street gift of class of 1912.
Guggenheim Hall completed.
Women's Club House construction began.
Pioneer Statue north of the Library reflecting pool gift of class of 1914.
Totem Teddy arrived on campus. Andrew Thompson, a 1897 graduate of the Normal School and U.S. Commissioner of Education for Alaska, gave the totem pole to UNC in 1914. Repatriated in October 2003.
Home Economics Building cornerstone laid.
Home Economics practice cottage constructed. Later renamed Roudebush Cottage.
Women's Club House dedicated March 22. Remodeled and renamed the Student Union in 1939. Renamed Gray Hall in 1965.
SATC Gymnasium (also known as "Temporary Gym," "Cow Barn," "Green Barn"). Razed in 1927.
Home Economics Building completed in October. Renamed Crabbe Hall in 1931.
Belford Residence Hall completed.
Gordon Residence Hall completed.
Decker Residence Hall completed.
Training School west wing erected.
Training School east wing erected.
First presidential home became Music Conservatory.
KFKA established to broadcast on the 3rd floor of Cranford. Broadcast supervised by Physics Department.
Gunter construction began with cornerstone, September 28, 1926.
KFKA moved to Music Conservatory. Music Department responsible for many broadcasts.
Jackson Field dedicated (5,200 capacity).
Gunter completed--balcony seated 1,100 people. Dedicated January 35.
Second presidential home at 1862 10th Avenue.
Faculty Apartment #1: "The Faculty Club" completed.
Two radio towers east of Gunter removed by 1939.
- Years: 1931-1950
Administration Building renamed Cranford Hall on October 22.
Home Economics Building renamed Crabbe Hall, October 22.
Training School renamed Kepner Hall.
Hadden Residence Hall completed. Hadden Hall was named for Samuel M. Hadden, who held a number of positions at the University of Northern Colorado from 1900-1934, including Sub. Professor of Manual Training and Drawing, Teacher of Sloyd, Pattern Maker, Dean of Practical Arts; Professor of Industrial Arts, Head of Division; and Professor of Industrial Arts, Head of Department. Samuel M. Hadden graduated from UNC in 1897.
Second men's residence hall on east campus completed. Named Hays Residence Hall on October 22. Hays Hall was named for James H. Hays who served as interim president in 1891 after the term of Thomas Gray and before the term of Zachariah Xenophon Snyder. After the death of Dr. Snyder, Hays was appointed interim president once again, serving from November 11, 1915 through the 1916 summer session.
Men's residence hall on east campus was named Hadden Hall on February 7 by the Board of Trustees.
Second Heating Plant completed (North of Faculty Apartments and Southeast of Gunter Hall.)
Driveway north of Gunter running from 8th to 10th Avenue closed on June 9.
Sabin Residence Hall dedicated June 13.
Snyder Residence Hall dedicated June 13.
Tobey-Kendel Residence Hall dedicated June 13.
Faculty Apartment (Unit #2) completed.
Greenhouse dismantled and sold.
Gunter has Celotex sound conditioned ceiling installed.
Women's Club House remodeling started. Renamed Student Union in 1939.
Student Union remodeling completed. Renamed Gray Hall in 1965.
Library remodel and renovation.
Faculty Apartment (Unit #3) completed.
Garden Theater dedicated June 14.
Remodeled library dedicated June 28.
Leo Florio flagpole erected.
Tops of deciduous trees around Carter and Cranford severely trimmed.
Bridge NW of Gray erected as class gift ("Hi Bridge").
Gunter additional locker rooms installed in basement.
Drinking fountain, Outdoor (Gunter, Garden Theater) class gift.
Library renamed Carter Hall.
Cross Residence Hall completed. Cross Hall was named for Ethan Allen Cross, Professor of English Emeritus, who held several positions at the University of Northern from 1904 until his retirement in 1957, including Head of Department of Literature and Language, Professor of Literature and English, Acting Dean of the College, Dean of the College, Head of Division of Literature and Language and Chair of the Division of Literature and Language. He was Professor of English Emeritus.
Faculty Apartment (Unit #4) completed.
Jackson Field renovated reducing seating capacity to 4,000.
Gunter original chimes replaced with second set.
- Years: 1951-1970
Frasier Hall groundbreaking on November 19.
Frasier Hall completed in December.
Frasier Hall dedicated on January 1.
Frasier theater dedicated January 14, 15, & 16 with performance of "Point of No Return".
Benches between Frasier and Cranford gift of the class of 1954.
Conservatory of Music razed.
Lily pond in front of Snyder vandalized. It was subsequently removed.
Gunter Hall balcony in men's gym removed. Folding bleachers installed.
Wiebking Residence Hall dedicated June 1957.
Wilson Residence Hall completed.
Tobey Kendel addition.
Parsons Hall completed.
Troxel Residence Hall dedicated in October. Troxel Hall was named for Dr. O. Leonard. Troxel, who held a number of positions at the University of Northern Colorado from 1930 until his retirement in 1958: Professor of Education, Chairman of the Division of Health and Physical Education, Director of Public Relations, and Professor of Education Emeritus.
Gunter Hall hardwood floors replaced in men's and women's gyms.
Bishop-Lehr Hall (Laboratory School) dedicated May 13.
Boiler house converted to Arts Annex.
McCowen Residence Hall dedicated.
Ross Hall of Science completed.
Student Union renamed Gray Hall.
College Center completed. Renamed University Center in 1970.
Ross Hall dedicated August 1.
Harrison Residence Hall dedicated November 6.
Student Family Apartments completed.
McKee Hall of Education completed.
Turner Residence Hall completed.
McKee Hall dedicated March 27.
College name changed to UNC.
College Center renamed University Center.
University Library (Michener Library) fire.
- Years: 1971-1990
University Library completed.
University Library dedicated on October 27. Renamed Michener Library in 1973.
Cranford demolished June 12-15 (1890-1972).
Candelaria construction began.
Candelaria Hall completed.
University Library renamed the James A. Michener Library.
Lawrenson Residence Hall dedicated May 10.
Mariani Gallery in Guggenheim dedicated October 14.
Butler-Hancock construction began.
Butler-Hancock Hall completed.
Lindou Auditorium in Michener Library dedicated August 4.
Butler-Hancock dedicated February 4.
Foundation Hall dedicated March 13.
Kepner--outside of building cleaned and sealed.
Carter Hall undergoes major renovation.
Gunter--outside of building cleaned and sealed.
Butler-Hancock storage room additions.
Gunter's bells stopped ringing.
Cross, Hadden, Hays and Troxel no longer used as dorms.
Frasier Theater renamed Langworthy Theater.
Kepner Hall undergoes major internal renovation.
Kepner Hall renovation completed.
Gunter received fourth set of new bells.
Laboratory wing added to Ross Hall.
University Center added atrium and internal remodel of ground level.
Cogeneration Plant constructed.
Lawrenson Hall rededicated October 5.
Cranford Park dedicated on June 13.
Leo Florio Flagpole rededicated October 13.
- Years: 1991-2010
Ross Laboratory wing dedicated March 26.
Michener Library recarpeted.
Frasier--Music Technology Center wing added.
Michener Archives, room L119, completed.
Frasier remodeled to connect 2nd floor wings.
Recreation Center added to Butler-Hancock.
Gunter Hall underwent major remodeling/renovation. Rededicated September 20, 1996.
Nottingham Field completed.
Norton Theatre dedicated in Gray Hall February 24, 1996.
Music Library dedicated October 17. Named Skinner Music Library 2005.
Hansen-Willis Hall dedicated October 22.
Scott-Wilcoxen Hall dedicated October 22.
Cassidy Hall completed.
President's Residence converted and renamed Visitors Center.
Ross Hall renovation started.
Garden Theatre E wall removed when Summer Concert Series cancelled.
Arlington Park Apartments completed August 2002.
West Campus Dining Facility construction began August 2003.
Totem Teddy returned to the Tlingit Indians, Angoon, Alaska. October 2003.
Archives remodel completed and reopened October 6.
West Campus Dining Facility officially opened on January 8.
Archives open house held on January 21 to celebrate the renovation of Archival Services.
Skinner Music Library (former Music Library) named on May 6.
Presidents Row (Bond Hall, Brown Hall, Dickeson Hall, Lujan Hall), 19th Street and 9th Avenue, dedicated October 1. Previously named Faculty Apartments.
McCowen Hall demolished. McCowen Hall, dedicated in 1963, was named after Annie Margaret McCowen, Professor of Elementary Education, 1921-1958.
New West Campus Residence Hall-South opened in Fall 2008.
New West Campus Residence Hall-North opened in Fall 2009.
- Years: 2011-
Hadden Hall (1931), Hays Hall (1931), Cross Hall (1947), and Troxel Hall (1960), all built in the Modified Pueblo style, were demolished. The east campus, located west of 6th Avenue and north of 20th Street, was originally the home of the men's dormitories. They were located north across the street from the baseball field at Jackson Field. The dormitories became unpopular due to the University's expansion onto the West Campus and to declining enrollment. The dormitories were closed in 1982 and leased to The Villa in 1984 and were remodeled to house 180 senior citizens (Hays, Hadden and Troxel Halls), and a home for non-violent, minimum-risk offenders (Cross Hall). They were sold to The Villa in September 1993 as they "were not adequate for the university's housing needs and did not fit in with the university's master facility plan for future developments." They were later sold to other corporations and demolished in 2011.
- UNC Libraries Home
- Archives & Special Collections @ Digital UNC
- Scholarship & Creative Works @ Digital UNC
James A. Michener Library Campus Box 48
University of Northern Colorado Greeley, CO 80639-0091
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday