Journalism and Mass Communications offers credit for full-time and part-time internships. Students must be majors in journalism to qualify for internship credit. Click here to download an internship application form (.pdf file). And here for the internship and practicum guide.
See Prof. Kelly Scott for information on how to register for internship credit.
JMC faculty post internship openings on the JMC Listserv. Listserv announcements go to subscribers’ e-mail addresses. To learn how to sign up, download these instructions (.pdf file).
Helpful Internship-Related Sites—Updated 03/19/12
- UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism—Good source for jobs and internships.
- CraigsList—Select “city,” select “career category,” select “internship” or “job.”
- MediaBistro.com—Select “jobs,” on left side scroll to “duration,” select “intern paid” or “intern unpaid.”
- Sports Media—An internship and scholarship program sponsored by The Association for Women in Sports Media—Select “scholarships.” Interns have been placed in newspapers, magazines, ESPN and the Olympic Training Committee.
- Minority Science Writers Internship (Washington, D.C.)—Paid summer internships (including travel) sponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Internships are with AAAS’s Science magazine. Note: March 1 deadline for applications.
- American Society of Newspaper Editors—Search engine for newspaper internships throughout the nation.
- Dow Jones News Fund, Inc.—Paid internships at some of the top newspapers in the U.S. Note apply in the fall semester for the following summer.
- Dow Jones & Company—Paid internships with the Wall Street Journal and other DJ companies.
- Colorado Press Association
- Gazette Telegraph (Colorado Springs)—Note: December deadline for summer internship applications.
- Denver Post— Note: October deadline for summer internships.
- Boston Globe—Note: Nov. 1 deadline for summer internships.
- Kaiser Media Internships in Health Reporting (for a variety of U.S. Newspapers)—Dec. 1 deadline for summer internship applications.
- American Society of Magazine Editors—Places students in summer, editorial internships. Note Nov. 15 deadline for applications.
- Time Inc. Editorial Internship Program—Places students in paid summer internships in New York with several Time Inc. magazines including Sports Illustrated, Time, Fortune, Money, People and Entertainment Weekly. Note: Nov. 2 deadline.
- CW2 Advertising
- University Directories
- Links to Major Ad Agencies
- Multicultural Advertising Intern Program
- Denver television
- Out-of-state opportunities
- WEIU-TV—Paid summer internship at Eastern Illinois University—deadline Jan. 15
- CBS-5—Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Kaiser Media Internships in Health Reporting. For a variety of U.S. television stations. Note: Dec. 1 deadline for summer internships.
- MTV (New York)—Internships in marketing, affiliate relations/distribution or production. Note: April 1 deadline for summer internships.
- International Radio & Television Society Foundation Summer Fellowship Program—Learn realities of the business world through a nine-week, expense paid fellowship in New York. Note: Dec. 2 deadline.
Public Relations and Promotions…
Public Relations Internships for Recent Graduates…
- Edelman Public Relations (Chicago, New York, and worldwide)
- Ruder Finn (New York)—Select “Careers” then “Learn about Ruder Finn’s Executive Training Program.”
- RF/Binder (New York)—select "About us," then "Careers," then "Associates Program."
Advertising Internships for Recent Graduates…
- Ogilvy & Mather (New York and worldwide)—No online application process, but click here to learn how to apply.
- Burns Marketing Communications (Northern Colorado)—90 day post graduate internship.
Fellowships for Recent Graduates...
- The Poynter Summer Fellowship for Young Journalists (St. Petersburg, Florida)—A six-week, intensive program for recent graduates who want to sharpen skills in writing, reporting, design, ethics, and online journalism.